Stone mites were crustaceans that clung to spaceships and buildings, consuming hulls and metal plating with a combination of strong, wire-cutting jaws and acidic saliva. They fed specifically on the silicates and complex metals. Three individual stone mites could merge to form a symbiotic triont that featured a hard shell, which strengthened from electrolytic reactions. As defense, they could weld themselves to a metallic surface and deliver electric shocks through their feeler tails.
On Ord Tiddell, thousands of stone mites infested its capital Lagabee, with four million planetary residents requesting evacuation. In 19.9 BBY, a freighter called the Spinner crashed near Westport and released an infestation at Kishi; as a result, Armand Isard ordered their release on Orleon.
The only known manner of eliminating these genetically-engineered pests was through the use of oxidizer foam. When applied, the substance would actually rust the mites to death. Jedi healers were able to use morichro against them.
- Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi 9: The Prisoner of Bogan, Part 4
- HoloNet News Vol. 531 48 —
- HoloNet News Vol. 531 53 —
- HoloNet News Vol. 531 55 —
- Star Wars: Republic 49: Sacrifice
- Star Wars: Republic 54: Double Blind
- Labyrinth of Evil (Mentioned only)
- Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight
- Star Wars 28: What Ever Happened to Jabba the Hut? (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Legacy 14: Claws of the Dragon, Part 1
- Star Wars: Legacy—War 6
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- Attack of the Clones: The Visual Dictionary
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 97 (COR37, Coruscant - Animals)
- The New Essential Chronology
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary