The Subjugation of Mon Calamari was one of the first battles fought by the new Galactic Empire. It resulted in the enslavement of the Mon Calamari and Quarren for nearly two decades, until both races united to throw the Empire offworld.
Following the dissolution of the Galactic Republic, the newly formed Galactic Empire began to spread its power across the galaxy. As the Imperial war machine began to grow, new resources were needed. Slavery was a key component to this buildup. Like the Wookiees of Kashyyyk, the native Mon Calamari and Quarren of Mon Calamari were viewed as ideal slaves. The world's massive shipyards and location near the Tion Cluster made it the perfect site for an Imperial base.
Protected by a planetary energy shield, the Mon Calamari and Quarren believed that they could resist any Imperial attacks. However, several disgruntled Quarren sabotaged the planetary shields, opening the world to invasion. They were led by Seggor Tels, a Quarren leader motivated by hatred of the Mon Calamari. The world fell quickly, with the Mon Calamari Shipyards falling into Imperial possession.
The Empire would go on to control Mon Calamari for nearly two decades, though the Mon Calamari and Quarren slowly planted the seeds of resistance. Experiments with building Imperial warships using Mon Calamari building techniques were dismal failures, while the spirit of Mon Calamari's peoples proved more powerful than the Empire expected.
Before joining the Rebel Alliance, Admiral Ackbar was a slave of Tarkin for many years during the Imperial occupation of Mon Calamari.
Behind the scenesEdit
When The Star Wars Sourcebook was first published, this battle was presented as the first contact between the people of Mon Calamari and the rest of the galaxy. With the presence of Mon Calamari and Quarren in the prequel trilogy and various Expanded Universe stories set before the rise of the Empire, however, this detail has been retconned away.
- The Force Unleashed II novel (Mentioned only)
- Death in the Undercity (Mentioned only)
- Darksaber (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game (First mentioned)
- The Star Wars Sourcebook
- Heir to the Empire Sourcebook
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition
- "The Essential Guide to Star Wars Aliens"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 3 (Indirect mention only)
- Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Death Star II Limited (Card: First Officer Thaneespi)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Jabba's Palace Limited (Card: Tessek)
- The Essential Atlas (First identified as Subjugation of Mon Calamari)
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Fly Casual (Indirect mention only)
- Strongholds of Resistance