- "Enough of them were sympathetic to the Rebel Alliance to require purification here. The Empire will exert close guidance over them for their own safety."
- ―Lord Tion
The Ralltiiri High Council began to oppose the Galactic Empire in the early period of the Galactic Civil War, and much of the population were becoming sympathetic to the cause of the Alliance to Restore the Republic.
The Empire initially countered this by infiltrating and sabotaging Ralltiiri banking accounts of nonhumans and Rebel sympathizers, making the financial center useless to numerous factions throughout the galaxy.
Due to the high amount of Rebels and Rebel sympathizers present on the planet and seeing Rebel-supported counteractions against the financial records, the Imperial task force leader, Lord Tion, was ordered to quell Rebel activity in the system.
The planet was bombarded by an Imperial fleet led by Tion's Imperial I-class Star Destroyer Devastator. Despite an attack made on the flagship by the Griffon Flight Wing, the operation continued as planned.
Ground troops landed in the capital of Cambrielle and began to root out Rebel elements, while also shutting down the city, effectively crippling the Rebel network before it could react.
The High Council was eliminated as a demonstration of the futility of rebellion, people suspected of having ties to the Alliance were executed, and the population at large were herded into death camps. Martial law was declared.
Princess Leia's missionEdit
While the "purification" campaign was taking place, Princess Leia Organa's ship, the Tantive IV, landed in the capital's spaceport. She was officially on a diplomatic mission to deliver spare parts and medical supplies to the High Council of Ralltiir; unbeknownst to the Empire, her cargo was secretly military-grade equipment meant for Alliance operatives.
A Ralltiir Rebel named Basso had information about the Death Star project implanted into his memory. Having made his way to the space port along with a small team of Rebel operatives, he attempted to reach the princess and get the information safely delivered to the Alliance. During the diversionary attack, Basso was injured, but he made his way to Organa's entourage and was hidden inside her landspeeder.
Finding the situation to be deteriorating, and having a wounded Rebel in tow, the princess decided to leave the world immediately. She nearly had her cover blown when she encountered Darth Vader, who demanded to search through her cargo. Tion also activated a surveillance system allowing him to monitor any spoken conversation in the city. Using Lord Tion's affections for her and the fact that any search would have to be cleared with him for it to be legal, Organa managed to escape the planet with her cargo and passenger secure.
When the blockade was finally lifted, Ralltiir was still occupied by Imperial forces. This led to commercial interests relocating to other worlds as Ralltiir was no longer seen as a free and stable financial center. This led to a decline in the system's economy, eventually crippling it.
After the initial military operation, Ralltiir saw a long-lasting campaign between Imperial and Rebel forces, with the planet remaining a hotbed of Rebel activity. This was partially due to the corrupt Imperial Governor Dennix Graeber, who had been installed as a puppet leader by Tion, to oversee public Rebel executions and the enforcement of harsh restrictions.
Graeber secretly sold arms to Rebel cells on the planet, thus strengthening them and increasing their activity on the planet. This lead Emperor Palpatine to increase the military operations on Ralltiir, giving Graeber a reason to continue the brutality that had begun in 1 BBY. Ralltiir's landscapes were devastated in the fighting and little order existed.
Due to its horrific fate and role in securing knowledge about the first Death Star, Ralltiir was one of the first planets to receive aid from the New Republic after the Battle of Endor. It became the first Core World liberated from the Empire by the Republic's military forces.
- Star Wars radio drama (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Empire 5: Princess... Warrior, Part 1
- Star Wars 2: In the Shadow of Yavin, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Empire 13: What Sin Loyalty?
- "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 3 (Mentioned only)
- "A Certain Point of View"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 8 (Mentioned only)
- "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 9 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Empire 38: The Wrong Side of the War, Part 3 (Mentioned only)
- The Star Wars Sourcebook (First identified as Subjugation of Ralltiir)
- Star Wars Trilogy Sourcebook - Special Edition
- Heroes & Rogues
- The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: Devastator)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: Yerka Mig)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Elyhek Rue)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Red 7)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: General McQuarrie)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Hoth Limited (Card: Jeroen Webb)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Cloud City Limited (Card: Chief Retwin)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – A New Hope Limited (Card: DS-61-4)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – A New Hope Limited (Card: Lt. Pol Treidum)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 3 (VAD1, Darth Vader) (Indirect mention only)
- "Who's Who in Echo Base"—Star Wars Insider 74
- "Ask the Master"—Star Wars Insider 82
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Han Solo is personally recruited by Raymus Antilles after the Rebels free him from a Star Destroyer's tractor beam during the Raid at Corellia, as she wants his help investigating the rumors and info that the Rebels have gathered during the Ambush in the Cron Drift and Leia's conversation with Lord Tion.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Star Wars: Empire 5: Princess... Warrior, Part 1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 3
- ↑ "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 9
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Elyhek Rue)
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 6.11 6.12 Star Wars (radio)
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- ↑ Star Wars: Empire 6: Princess... Warrior, Part 2