A sublight drive was a vital starship component used to drive ships through Realspace at speeds less than the speed of light; the most common form of sublight drive was the ion engine, which the TIE fighter used two of to achieve its incredible speeds.
The usual speeds achieved by sublight drive were quite substantial, amounting to a respectable fraction of the speed of light. A freighter-sized vessel propelled by sublight drive could clear the atmosphere of a planet and its gravity well in a matter of minutes.
The most common sublight drive was produced by Hoersch-Kessel Drive, Inc., and found in vessels ranging from the T-16 skyhopper to the Imperial-class Star Destroyer. Durafly was also known for producing sublight drives.
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
- The Star Wars Sourcebook
- Death Star Technical Companion
- Cracken's Rebel Field Guide
- Planets of the Galaxy, Volume One (As "Sublight Drive")
- Heir to the Empire Sourcebook
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook (As "sublight engine")
- The Star Wars Planets Collection
- The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded
- Living Force Campaign Guide
- Starships of the Galaxy (Saga Edition)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 19 (Starship Drive Systems)
- Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual
- (as "sublight engine")
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide