Suicide was the deliberate termination of one's life by one's own hand. Sentient beings committed suicide for a number of reasons. It could be brought about by the mental status of a person or by extraneous circumstances, such as cultural demands or military directives.
Suicide teeth or poisonous pills were used by some military personnel to commit suicide and prevent capture by the enemy.
- Rather than live with a crippling injury, Tusken Raiders would commit suicide when they lost a limb, or as the result of a wound, lost use of a limb.
- Jagi committed suicide after deciding not to fight Canderous Ordo to the death.
- Xanatos, a former Padawan of Qui-Gon Jinn, committed suicide in 44 BBY, preferring to jump into a pool of acid rather than facing capture by his former master.
- Hunti Pereg, a bounty hunter, let a thermal pool set off his thermal detonators, rather than facing Granta Omega.
- Hevy committed suicide by detonating two tanks of Tibanna so he could destroy Rishi Station to warn Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi and Jedi General Anakin Skywalker about an upcoming Separatist Invasion on the planet of Kamino.
- Around 21 BBY, a Death Watch terrorist, who bombed the memorial shrine in Sundari, let himself fall to his death from a high balcony rather than face capture by Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- An Unidentified slave girl committed suicide by jumping off a balcony ledge rather than be reprocessed after attempting to kill Miraj Scintel and being stopped by Anakin Skywalker.
- The Father on Mortis stabbed himself in order to weaken the Son, who had fallen to the dark side.
- Clone Trooper Hardcase killed himself when he threw a detached missile pod from his hijacked Umbaran starfighter to destroy the reactor of the Separatist supply ship when the reactor shields were activated.
- Following a misdirected raid against a suspected Jedi survivor and the earlier death of his squadmate Bry, IC-4447, known as Ennen, shot himself in the head with his sidearm.
- Ko Sai committed suicide by hanging herself rather than help clone renegades reverse the clones' accelerated aging.
- Darth Vader in 19 BBY attempted to commit suicide as a means to atone for his sins during the Atoan insurgency by collapsing a building on himself, Garoche Tarkin, and Saro. He ended up surviving.
- Gira, a Jedi Knight, ran himself through with his own lightsaber after being tricked into betraying the Padawans in his care by Darth Vader.
- In 3 BBY on Felucia, Shaak Ti committed suicide by falling into a sarlacc pit after being defeated by Galen Marek.
- In the same year that the Battle of Yavin took place, Bria Tharen committed suicide by taking a poison pill rather than facing capture or execution at the hands of the Imperials that had surrounded her unit.
- Moff Sarn Shild killed himself in 4 BBY.
- Colby Hoff committed suicide by shooting himself in the head after Xizor ruined him.
- Vergere committed suicide by piloting an A-wing starfighter straight into the heart of a Yuuzhan Vong base.
- In 27 ABY, Borsk Fey'lya detonated a bomb on Coruscant, killing himself and over twenty-five thousand Yuuzhan Vong Warriors.
- Viqi Shesh committed suicide during the Yuuzhan Vong War by jumping into Coruscant's canyons.
- After witnessing the destruction of Supreme Overlord Shimrra Jamaane's vessel, Nas Choka gave permission for those Yuuzhan Vong who wished to commit suicide to do so. A large number of Yuuzhan Vong committed suicide, some by opening themselves with coufees, others by turning the ships they were flying into living missiles.
- In 40 ABY, Cal Omas committed suicide by falling on Ben Skywalker's lightsaber to make the assassination attempt seem real.
- In 43.5 ABY, former Galactic Alliance Chief of State Cha Niathal ran a line of carbon monoxide gas into an aquarium she had entered after refusing to be put on trial for dereliction of duty.
- At fourteen, Danalis committed suicide in an airlock after realizing Captain Shrike would never live up to his promise to fix her vrelt-gnawed face.
- George R. Binks had attempted to kill himself after being overcome with emotions at his wife and son, Jar Jar, although the attempt had failed after awaking a few hours later after a shot to the head left him unconscious.
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: )
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I ("Fidelis")
Notes and referencesEdit
- Suicide on Wikipedia