- "Besides, attacking that battle station ain't my idea of courage. It's more like…suicide."
- ―Han Solo, prior to the Battle of Yavin
Suicide was the deliberate termination of one's life by one's own hand. Sentient beings killed themselves for a number of reasons. This could be brought about by the mental status of a person or by extraneous circumstances, such as cultural demands or military directives.
Suicide teeth or poisonous pills were used by some military personnel to kill themselves and prevent capture by the enemy.
- George R. Binks had attempted to kill himself after being overcome with emotions at his wife and son, Jar Jar, although the attempt had failed after awaking a few hours later after a shot to the head left him unconscious.
- Rather than live with a crippling injury, Tusken Raiders would kill themselves if they lost a limb, or lost the use of it due to a wound.
- Jagi killed himself after deciding not to fight Canderous Ordo to the death.
- Xanatos, a former Padawan of Qui-Gon Jinn, killed himself in 44 BBY, preferring to jump into a pool of acid rather than facing capture by his former master.
- Hunti Pereg, a bounty hunter, let a thermal pool set off his thermal detonators, rather than facing Granta Omega.
- Hevy killed himself by detonating two tanks of Tibanna so he could destroy Rishi Station to warn Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi and Jedi General Anakin Skywalker about an upcoming Separatist Invasion on the planet of Kamino.
- Around 21 BBY, a Death Watch terrorist, who bombed the Memorial Shrine in Sundari, let himself fall to his death from a high balcony rather than face capture by Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- An Unidentified slave girl killed herself by jumping off a balcony ledge rather than be reprocessed after attempting to kill Miraj Scintel and being stopped by Anakin Skywalker.
- The Father on Mortis stabbed himself in order to weaken the Son, who had fallen to the dark side.
- Clone Trooper Hardcase killed himself when he threw a detached missile pod from his hijacked Umbaran starfighter to destroy the reactor of the Separatist supply ship when the reactor shields were activated.
- Following a misdirected raid against a suspected Jedi survivor and the earlier death of his squadmate Bry, IC-4447, known as Ennen, shot himself in the head with his sidearm.
- Ko Sai hanged herself rather than help clone renegades reverse the clones' accelerated aging.
- Darth Vader in 19 BBY attempted to kill himself as a means to atone for his sins during the Atoan insurgency by collapsing a building on himself, Garoche Tarkin, and Saro. He ended up surviving.
- Gira, a Jedi Knight, ran himself through with his own lightsaber after being tricked into betraying the Padawans in his care by Darth Vader.
- At fourteen, Danalis killed herself by cycling an airlock while not wearing a space suit after realizing Captain Shrike would never live up to his promise to fix her vrelt-gnawed face.
- In 3 BBY on Felucia, Shaak Ti killed herself by falling into a sarlacc pit after being defeated by Galen Marek.
- In the same year that the Battle of Yavin took place, Bria Tharen killed herself by taking a poison pill rather than face capture or execution at the hands of the Imperials that had surrounded her unit, along with the rest of Red Hand Squadron.
- Moff Sarn Shild killed himself in 4 BBY using either a blaster or poison.
- Colby Hoff shot himself in the head with a blaster after Xizor ruined him.
- In 27 ABY, Borsk Fey'lya detonated a bomb on Coruscant, killing himself and over twenty-five thousand Yuuzhan Vong Warriors.
- Vergere killed herself by piloting an A-wing starfighter straight into the heart of a Yuuzhan Vong base.
- Viqi Shesh killed herself during the Yuuzhan Vong War by jumping into Coruscant's canyons.
- After witnessing the destruction of Supreme Overlord Shimrra Jamaane's vessel, Nas Choka gave permission for those Yuuzhan Vong who wished to kill themselves to do so. A large number of Yuuzhan Vong chose to, some by using coufees, others by turning the ships which they were flying into living missiles.
- In 40 ABY, Cal Omas killed himself by falling on Ben Skywalker's lightsaber to make the assassination attempt seem real.
- In 43.5 ABY, former Galactic Alliance Chief of State Cha Niathal ran a line of carbon monoxide gas into an aquarium she had entered after refusing to be put on trial for dereliction of duty.
- In 137 ABY, Admiral Dru Valan killed himself after his devastating defeat in the Battle of Mon Calamari (Second Imperial Civil War) against his rival and obsession, Gar Stazi.
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- Star Wars Trading Card Game - The Empire Strikes Back (TCG) (Card: )
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I ("Fidelis")
- Star Wars: The Card Game – A Dark Time (Card: MTV-7)
- The Bounty Hunter Code: From the Files of Boba Fett
- Strongholds of Resistance
Notes and referencesEdit
- Suicide on Wikipedia