Sullustese, or Sullustan, was the language spoken by the Sullustan species.
(Note: eihcra niwdoog is Archie Goodwin reversed, a reference to the famous writer and editor.)
Known Sullustan PhrasesEdit
- How much for a hair trim and removal?
- Kippe h'moo kay ta m'ha?
- Take a little off the top, please.
- Utu rupee to tupee.
- Take a little off the bottom, please.
- Utu rupee to bootee.
- I'd like my body shaved and shined.
- M'ho towhunee moonee end zigwa.
- Just clear the breathing holes, please.
- L'ko l'ya oot me hoot.
- I'd like it raised off the ears.
- M'ho tuni voogoo.
- I'd like it raised above the antennae.
- M'ho tuni jo-jobap.
- Just raise it above the holster.
- M'ho holta pa noll'ya don.
- May I have it curled?
- K'a m'ho kurlee hurlee?
- I'd like to have it streaked and tipped.
- M'ho tooka jooked un rooked.
- Give me the standard Wookiee cut.
- Jima ja mooska wa Wookiee moo.
- Blocked, not tapered.
- Mokk, na bazdu.
- Trim the bangs.
- C'hoo za pokeluka.
- I'd like my head shaved.
- A'foos mak bubon h'lok.
- I'd like my head shined.
- A'foos mak bubon zigwa.
- Shave, please.
- O'x na att.
- Don't cut it too short.
- K'yin goh k'wang see.
- Cover the gray.
- Naqua zo grinko.
- Cover the green.
- Naqua zo hapnuk.
- I need my roots done.
- A foo ma gooptaka bok.
- I don't know how this works.
- Inoppendum Sorda.
- I'll do that.
- Quas-cu az.
- Aarb - "Brewer," a common name among Sullustans
- Lequana - Roughly "cave brother"
- Se'lahn - A state of individual disquietude
- Uupa - One of the clan-matriarch’s mates
- Zenn Bien - "Tranquil breeze"
Notable non-native speakers of SullusteseEdit
- Lando Calrissian
- Winter Celchu
- Kyp Durron
- Jedi Exile
- Marn Hierogryph
- Wes Janson
- Jace Lorrin
- Len Markus
- Platt Okeefe
- Carlist Rieekan
- Markos Tor
- Hesh Verbon
- Talrin Youp
Behind the scenesEdit
As heard by Nien Nunb in Return of the Jedi, Sullustese is actually the Tanzanian language of Haya. He says, (translated in another language) "Hey, you, look there" and, despite a legend that he is saying, "One thousand herds of elephants are standing on my foot", he is actually saying, "all you lot over there who are over there come here"
Several Sullustan phrases from ROTJ were unchanged Haya inserted because of time restraints. When the film aired in Nairobi a year after release, viewers there recognized them for what they were. Fortunately, many of the lines fit in context.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
- ↑ Roleplaying Game Revised Core Rulebook
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Rebellion Era Sourcebook
- ↑ The Dark Side Sourcebook
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Living Force Campaign Guide
- ↑ Platt's Starport Guide
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Secrets of Naboo
- ↑ Alliance Intelligence Reports
- ↑ Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds