- Kanan Jarrus: "I think the commander's a super tactical droid."
- Rex: "Ah, you're right. He is."
- Ezra Bridger: "Is that bad?"
- Rex: "It's really bad. That droid's extremely intelligent."
- ―Kanan Jarrus, Clone Captain Rex, and Ezra Bridger[src]
Super tactical droids were advanced tactical droids that had command capabilities during the Clone Wars, acting as generals of the Separatist Droid Army. One such droid was Kalani, who was in command of the Confederacy of Independent Systems forces during their occupation of Onderon.
They would often resort to threats and torture as interrogation routes. These droids were created to analyze a battle, calculate a possible battle-winning solution, and a time frame to carry out their plan. Being programmed with Separatist beliefs, they ruled through fear and through the lack of courage and hope in their victims and specifically "freedom from the tyranny of the republic." Although Super Tactical Droids were not directly involved in combat, they were able to effectively use self-defense and an E-5 blaster rifle. Being programmed for success, they are willing to kill or be killed for the advancement of the Confederacy of Independent Systems.
Building off their predecessors, the T-series tactical droid, they had a much more robotic inflection to their voices, as well a larger, more imposing and more damage-resistant body. These droids were also able to better process and adapt to sudden changes and unexpected complications and have more variables in their calculations. Although better than those before them, flaws in their programming were still prevalent. These include the difficulty to see approaches and plans that differ from their own, and the overconfidence in the Confederacy of Independent Systems and its army.
Super tactical droids were created for the Confederacy of Independent Systems' military forces during the clone wars. They were highly intelligent, strategic, and masterful commanders in the Droid Army. The super tactical droids were seen as very dangerous to veteran officers.
In the second year of the Clone Wars, Separatist leader, Count Dooku dispatched General Kalani assist King Sanjay Rash's forces in dealing with the rebels of Onderon. During this time, he worked alongside the Royal Militia's commander, General Tandin as they attempted to capture the rebels in Iziz. However, Tandin and his forces then defected and assisted the rebels in freeing Ramsis Dendup during their escape to the highlands. When the rebels were able to defeat the droid gunships, Kalani was then ordered to retreat with his forces to Agamar, despite Rash's objections. Kalani then executed Rash and retreated to Agamar.
Another super tactical droid, Aut-O was stationed aboard a Providence-class dreadnought. However, he was destroyed by R2-D2. Another one was given command of a commandeered Venator-class Star Destroyer with the mission to destroy the Republic strategy conference on Valor station in the Carida system. However, when the buzz droids failed in stopping D-Squad, the super tactical droids and it's crew were destroyed before they were able to complete their mission.
Another super tactical droid, Kraken, served as second in command to Admiral Trench. Kraken then attempted to take a captured clone trooper CT-5385 to Count Dooku. However, he was stopped by General Skywalker and two of his 501st Legion troopers. He was then destroyed by Skywalker when he refused to answer his questions. However, he was then rebuilt and commanded the Separatist forces during the invasion of Scipio alongside Dooku. Kraken continued to serve under Dooku aboard his command ship, even when his master, Lord Sidious, demanded his presence.
A super tactical droid then accompanied General Grievous to Utapau aboard a Separatist supply ship to secure the shipment of a enormous Kyber crystal. However, it was destroyed when the Jedi caused the crystal to explode.
Age of the EmpireEdit
After the Clone Wars ended, the Galactic Republic transformed into the Galactic Empire and the Separatist Council was assassinated by Darth Vader, who then used the Council's equipment to send a shutdown signal to the droid army. However, Kalani, who was stationed on Agamar at the time with a battle droid garrison, assumed the shutdown command was nothing more than a Republic trick so he ignored it and did not relay to the droids under his command.
Years later, Clone Captain Rex, Lasat Garazeb Orrelios, Jedi Kanan Jarrus and his Padawan Ezra Bridger arrived on Agamar, looking to find weapons and explosives for the rebellion. Kalani had his forces capture them and bring them to him so that he could play a little "war game" with them so that he could "end" the Clone Wars his way. Kalani holds Zeb hostage while Rex, Kanan and Ezra fight through his troops. After defeating waves of battle droids and making their way to the command center, Rex, Kanan and Ezra ordered Kalani to surrender. Kalani refused, but Ezra convinced him that neither the Republic nor the Separatists won the war and the Republic became the Empire. When the Empire arrived on Agamar, Kalani agreed to help the rebels escape. While the droids and Zeb attacked the stormtroopers and AT-DP's, Kalani had five droids fire at Ezra and Kanan who redirected their shots at proton bombs underneath the AT-AT's, destroying one of them in the process. The droids and the rebels made their escape in three Sheathipede-class transport shuttles, one being destroyed in the process. Kalani bid farewell to the rebels but refused to join them, believing that they had less than a 1% chance of of successfully overthrowing the Empire.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Front Runners" (First appearance) (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Soft War"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Tipping Points"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Secret Weapons"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Point of No Return"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Unknown"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis at the Heart"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Unfinished Business"
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part One
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Two
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Last Battle"
- (First identified as Super tactical droid)
- Lead by Example
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Front Runners"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Star Wars Rebels – "The Last Battle"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels - "The Last Battle" http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Battle
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know dates the events of both "Brothers" and "The Wrong Jedi" to the second year of the Clone Wars. Since places "A War on Two Fronts" between those two episodes, it can be concluded that "A War on Two Fronts" also takes place during the war's second year.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Soft War"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Tipping Points"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Secret Weapons"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Point of No Return"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Unknown"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis at the Heart"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"