- "Long ago in forgotten times, when the Sith and Jedi fought for control of the galaxy, weapons there were, of unimaginable power."
Superweapons were used in ancient wars between the Jedi and the Sith. These weapons were powered by Kyber crystals. One such weapon existed on the Sith planet Malachor, the site of an ancient battle. The Sith Lord Momin constructed a weapon with the ability to destroy an entire city. He used this weapon to destroy a city on a planet before he and his acolytes were defeated by the Jedi.
The Subjugator-class heavy cruiser Malevolence used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars was considered to be a superweapon, as was the electro-proton bomb developed by Sionver Boll. The first and second Death Star built by the Galactic Empire were superweapons, employing a powerful superlaser weapon that was powered by massive kyber crystals. Conan Antonio Motti loved technology that created devastating superweapons. Approximately thirty years after the destruction of the second Death Star, the primary base of the First Order—Starkiller Base—harbored a superweapon built into the planet's crust that was capable of destroying entire star systems, as demonstrated during the Hosnian Cataclysm. The weapon was powered by drawing on the energy of a star, which eventually led to the planet's collapse during an attack by the Resistance on Starkiller's thermal oscillator.
Behind the scenesEdit
Earlier versions of the 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, the first installment of the Star Wars sequel trilogy; had the Resistance developing a superweapon known as the War-Hammer. In those versions, in which General Leia Organa appeared earlier in the story, the War-Hammer would've been several times the size of a Star Destroyer and had the form of a massive ship with a huge front that could penetrate any shield and was able to deploy ships through it.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force (Picture only)
- (First identified as Superweapon)
- (As "megaweapon")
- (As "megaweapon")