- "The Courts take even longer to decide things than the Senate."
- ―Padmé Amidala
The Supreme Court was the highest court of law in the Galactic Republic, and composed the judicial branch of the Republic's government. The Supreme Court was headquartered in the Galactic Courts of Justice Building on Coruscant. It survived into the reign of the Galactic Empire until it was replaced by the Court of Justice in 7 ABY under the New Republic.
The Court consisted of twelve justices (each addressed as "Your Honor"); one of them was the Chief Justice who headed both the Court and the judicial branch. The Supreme Chancellor apparently could influence appointments to the Court in some way (at least during Palpatine's tenure), most likely through nominations.
The Supreme Court, in addition to serving as a 'court of last resort' and as a determiner of constitutional legality, also tried cases involving the most important matters in the Republic, such as that of Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum, who they called before them over charges of corruption. However, at least some cases (including the trial of senators for treason) were handled internally by the Senate. The Court apparently had the ability to try the same case more than once; this may mean that the Republic's judicial system had no concept of double jeopardy. Evidence for this can be seen in the four trials of the Trade Federation vs. the Royal House of Naboo after the Invasion of Naboo. Either that, or the proceedings always ended in a mistrial, necessitating another. The Court also had the power to issue subpoenas and writs.
Behind the scenesEdit
It is interesting to note that there are an even number of justices in the Supreme Court. No mention has yet been made on how split decisions are handled or avoided. This may be an explanation for having four trials of Nute Gunray, if the Court was split in deciding each of them and unable to reach a unanimous verdict (if this has been required) causing a deadlock.
- Cloak of Deception
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- HoloNet News Vol. 531 46 (Mentioned only) —
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones comic (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Attack of the Clones: The Illustrated Companion
- The New Essential Chronology
- Star Wars Annual 2009
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (Picture only)