The Swift Assault 5 Hoverscout was a ground vehicle that did not use repulsors to generate lift, but used hover engines to generate an air cushion, to get the same effect.
Although not as fast or maneuverable as repulsorcraft, the hoverscout had a better track record with regards to maintenance and breakdowns and was easier to maintain and operate.
Designed for reconnaissance and offensive point operations, the versatile craft could operate alone or with infantry and armor support, conduct raids in groups or act as rearguard. It was used by the Galactic Empire on many worlds, including Karinda.
The hoverscout was capable of taking a direct hit, while still being able to maneuver properly. The extensive field of vision for the crew was made possible by the use of ceraglass windscreens, made from a ceramic alloy that was transparent and tough as armor. The environment was closed and recyclable, and all hatches and weapons ports had to be sealed.
Long-range communications and EPR sensors linked with the weaponry were standard equipment on-board the craft, while specialized comm gear and sensors had to be added according to each mission profile.
To help supplement power generation, energy was recycled from the hoverscout's air-cushion, which made the craft have longer range than similar vehicles. To get across minor obstacles, the powerful Kasmin turbopumps could push the aircushion to its limits and float across.
- (Ambiguously canonical source)
- Choices of One (Mentioned only)
- Hammertong: The Tale of the "Tonnika Sisters"
- Dark Forces: Rebel Agent
- X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble
- Tatooine Ghost
- Heir to the Empire (First mentioned)
- Dark Force Rising (First appearance)
- Imperial Sourcebook (First mentioned)
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- Star Wars Gamemaster Handbook, Second Edition
- Imperial Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised
- "Milk Run"—Polyhedron 83 (Ambiguously canonical source)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia