Swoop racing was a high-speed spectator sport using modified swoop engines. The vehicles involved often reached speeds of 600 kilometers per hour.
In the days of the Jedi Civil War, competing swoop racers did not take to the track at the same time. Instead, each racer would race alone over a course filled with obstacles and speed-enhancing "acceleration pads". After all racers had completed one or more trials, the racer with the best time won. The swoop racing circuit at the time centered on Taris, with other tracks on Nar Shaddaa, Onderon, Telos IV, Manaan and Tatooine. Revan won the Tarisian Season Opener in 3956 BBY using a modified swoop, but the records of his win were lost during the Destruction of Taris in the ongoing Jedi Civil War.
Though its hey-day was during the Jedi Civil War, swoop racing was always a popular sport both on professional and amateur levels. It enjoyed a resurgence in popularity when it became the Empire-sanctioned replacement of podracing.
Swoop Racing was often regarded as a safer alternative to podracing since the tracks were much less complex and the risk of injury or death was not as high as the faster podracing events. Its popularity may also have been helped by the fact that Humans could participate since swoop racing required less reflexes than podracing. That being said, swoop racing was not totally risk-free as evidenced by the extremely dangerous Agrilat-based illegal Dragonbane races which were organized by the Black Seraphs.
During his youth, Dengar was considered something of a swoop racing cult hero throughout the Corellian system for his successes on the professional circuit. But, tired of constant comparisons to another young racer from the private circuit named Han Solo, Dengar challenged his rival to an illegal, winner-takes-all race through the hazardous crystal swamps of Agrilat. During the race, Solo executed a maneuver that sent Dengar flying off his swoop head first into a crystalline plant, injuring him terribly. After the Empire restored Dengar to health and refitted him with cybernetics and assigned him to servitude as an Imperial assassin, Dengar would carry a burning, personal hatred for Solo for the remainder of his life.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire (Mentioned only)
- Anakin: Apprentice
- Cloak and Vibroblade
- "Dark Vendetta (short story)"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 7 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Missions 7: Ithorian Invasion
- "Galaxywide NewsNets"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 3
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Threat of the Conqueror (The Skulls promotional scenario) (Mentioned only)
- Tatooine Ghost
- Star Wars: Rebellion (Mentioned only) (Non-canonical appearance)
- Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope
- Planets of the Galaxy, Volume One
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim
- Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters, Second Edition
- "The Free-Trader's Guide to Sevarcos"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 2
- The Star Wars Planets Collection
- "Predators for Hire: A Guide to Star Wars Bounty Hunters"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 6
- "Use the Force: Bounty Hunters Trivia Quiz"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 6
- "Casting Shadows"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 7
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: Swoop)
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- "A Guide to the Vehicles in Shadows of the Empire"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 9
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire Limited Collector's Edition
- Wretched Hives of Scum & Villainy
- Secrets of Mos Eisley"—Star Wars Gamer 7 "
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 11 (END9, The Battle of Endor)
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- The Unknown Regions
- Suns of Fortune