The title of Syndic was a designation of rank used in some societies, particularly among the Chiss.
Several distinct pieces of evidence go some way toward defining the title of Syndic as used among the Chiss.
- It is known that a title of Syndic was used by representatives of the Eighth Ruling Family, including, in 27 BBY, Mitth'ras'safis (Thrass), brother of the future Imperial Grand Admiral Mitth'raw'nuruodo (Thrawn). It is possible that the other Ruling Families also used the title in similar ways, but no direct evidence exists.
- Among the warriors of his own rogue Household Phalanx, Mitth'raw'nuruodo was later known formally as "Syndic Mitth'raw'nuruodo," suggesting that he had acceded to a comparable position to that which his brother had once held; the House Phalanx was not commanded by Mitth'raw'nuruodo himself, however, but by Stent, with the rank of Commander. In 22 ABY, Aristocra Chaf'orm'bintrano also referred to Mitth'raw'nuruodo as "Syndic".
- A study produced by the University of Sanbra in the last years of the New Republic, says that Colonial Phalanxes, the military forces attached to the twenty eight colony worlds of the Chiss Ascendancy, were usually led by a Syndic appointed by a House leader. This passage could be read as a different way of describing the same sort of chain of command found in Mitth'raw'nuruodo's Phalanx, but the phrasing of the text suggests that the Syndic of a Colonial Phalanx was its direct military commander, and it is possible that we ought to distinguish two types of Syndic, and two types of Phalanx.
- The existence of a rank of Syndic with high authority over the whole Chiss Expansionary Defense Force is implied by former Imperial General Baron Soontir Fel's assumption of the rank of Assistant Syndic when he joined the CEDF in about 29 ABY.
- However, when Baron Fel identified Commander Ina'ganet'nuruodo (Ganet) as the Phalanx commander for "a rival Syndic," he was probably indicating that she served another Syndic of the same type as Mitth'ras'safis and Mitth'raw'nuruodo, with Ina'ganet'nuruodo's position being presumably comparable to that of Kres'ten'tarthi (Stent).
On present knowledge, it is hard to infer the underlying structures behind these varied references with any confidence, although further information will no doubt enable fuller analysis. It can, additionally, be noted that the title of Syndic was not exclusively restricted to the Chiss. For instance, Talon Karrde sometimes used the alias of Syndic Pandis Hart, chief purchasing agent of the planetary council on the planet Sif-Uwana.
- Outbound Flight
- "First Contact"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 1
- Vision of the Future
- Survivor's Quest
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Journey
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee
- Star Wars Adventure Journal 7
- Star Wars Gamer 3
- The University of Sanbra Guide to Intelligent Life: The Chiss"—Star Wars Gamer 5 "
- Alien Anthology
- "Who's Who: Imperial Grand Admirals"—Star Wars Insider 66