The carnivorous syren plants were native to the planet Kashyyyk. They could be found in the dangerous jungles of the planet's surface, in the third level down from the canopy level where the Wookiees dwelled.
A syren plant could be identified by its two ovular, bright yellow petals that were divided in half. The petals were mounted on an extremely thick, mottled, blood-red stock. In the middle of the petals was a tuft of glossy white fibers. To many casual observers, the plant might seem little more than a giant, beautiful, oversized flower. However, looks can be deceiving.
The tuft of syren fibers within a the plant emitted a large number of pheromones, which could lure unsuspecting prey. If a creature were to be lured within the confines of the yellow petals, it was unlikely to survive. Touching the blood-red inner flesh of a syren plant's petals would cause it to reflexively close in one swift, powerful movement. The prey, then trapped in place by the plant's powerful and sticky petals, would be painfully digested by the plant.
As a rite of passage, many young Wookiees would attempt to harvest the plant's syren fibers at the Well of the Dead. A young Wookiee would bring a few stronger friends to hold the powerful petals in place while the he attempted to harvest the fibers as quickly as possible, which he would then wear as a symbol of virility and bravery. Despite the help, some young Wookiees lost limbs to the plant. Before he attended Luke Skywalker's Jedi Praxeum, Lowbacca managed to harvest the syren fibers by himself. While the plant was accidentally triggered, Lowbacca saw the moment it happen and managed to get himself clear before the flower closed. After he returned home, he wove the fibers into a belt.
- Episode I Adventures 7: Capture Arawynne
- "What They Called Me"—Star Wars Tales 5 (Non-canonical appearance)
- What They Called Me"—Star Wars Gamer 4 (Non-canonical appearance) "
- Tatooine Ghost (Mentioned only)
- Young Jedi Knights: Heirs of the Force (First appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Young Jedi Knights: Shadow Academy (Mentioned only)
- Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers (Mentioned only)
- Young Jedi Knights: Darkest Knight
- Young Jedi Knights: Diversity Alliance
- Young Jedi Knights: Return to Ord Mantell (Mentioned only)
- Young Jedi Knights: Crisis at Crystal Reef
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Journey (Mentioned only)
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- Secrets of Kashyyyk"—Star Wars Gamer 4 "
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 42 (KAS4, Kashyyyk)