Like the T-16, the T-23 had a tri-wing design and controls similar to those of the T-65 X-wing starfighter. The T-23 could comfortably accommodate three passengers in the cockpit. It also contained a cramped cargo compartment toward the rear of the cockpit.
The T-23 was considered to be an older model by 23 ABY.
Before he left his nephew Lowbacca at Luke Skywalker's Jedi Praxeum on Yavin 4, Chewbacca gave Lowbacca a partially completed T-23 as a gift. During his stay, the young Wookiee used it to explore the jungle moon and entertain his new friends.
While the first time it was being repaired by Lowie and Jaina Solo, Skywalker was fondly reminded of his own T-16 skyhopper back on Tatooine, chasing down womp rats in Beggar's Canyon. This amazed Jaina and her brother Jacen Solo, who couldn't imagine Luke as a hotshot daredevil pilot. They and Lowie were even more astonished when he asked if after the repairs where done, they could give him a ride sometime.
- Young Jedi Knights: Heirs of the Force (First appearance)
- Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers
- Young Jedi Knights: Darkest Knight
- Young Jedi Knights: Jedi Under Siege
- Young Jedi Knights: Shards of Alderaan
- Young Jedi Knights: Delusions of Grandeur
- Young Jedi Knights: The Emperor's Plague (Mentioned only)