Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The TIE/D Defender, commonly known as the TIE Defender, was an advanced TIE line starfighter manufactured by Sienar Fleet Systems for the Imperial Navy of the Galactic Empire. Unlike previous TIE models, the starfighter featured a hyperdrive as well as deflector shields. The TIE Defender was considered a fighter-bomber and was capable of firing missiles that detonated over a moderate area, causing high damage to enemy defenses.
- "Looks like some kind of new TIE Interceptor, but this one has shields."
"But TIE fighters never had shields before."
- ―Sabine Wren and Hera Syndulla
Like the rest of the TIE line starfighters, the TIE/D Defender featured a ball-shaped cockpit module and solar array wings. However, while the standard TIE/LN starfighter and many other TIE variants, including the TIE/IN interceptor and the TIE Advanced x1, had two parallel wings to either side of the pilot module, the TIE/D Defender had three wings mounted around an aft section of the cockpit. Additionally, said wings bent outwards, away from the cockpit.
In 2 BBY, the Galactic Empire at the instigation of Grand Admiral Thrawn began preparations to produce TIE Defenders at the Lothal Imperial Factory on the planet Lothal. With the help of Ryder Azadi's Lothal resistance, the Spectres stole the starfighter's schematics. They feared that the Empire would start manufacturing TIE Defenders in large numbers and use them to destroy their growing rebellion.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "For those of us who remember playing the TIE Fighter game, it's a great ship. It's fast, it's got shields, it's got a hyperdrive. It sort of evens the odds and you don't need hundreds and hundreds upon them to defeat just a small number of Rebel starfighters. It evens the odds between the versatility of an X-wing fighter and the limited capabilities of a TIE fighter."
- ―Pablo Hidalgo
The TIE/D Defender originated in the 1994 video game Star Wars: TIE Fighter by LucasArts, where it was depicted as the top-of-the-line Imperial fighter model. The fighter was incorporated into canon upon its inclusion in the mobile strategy game Star Wars: Commander. The TIE Defender's schematics made an appearance in "An Inside Man," the eighth episode of the third season of Star Wars Rebels. According to the Rebels crew, the Defender seemed a philosophical departure for the Empire, pouring such resources into a small fighter craft, but a rather unconventional Imperial like Thrawn backing the project made sense for them to introduce the fighter into the show.
- Star Wars Rebels – "An Inside Man" (Schematics only)
- Star Wars Battlefront (DLC)
- Star Wars: Commander (First appearance)