The TIE/gt fighter was part of the TIE Series of starfighters manufactured by Sienar Fleet Systems. Physically similar to the standard TIE/LN starfighter with a ball cockpit and hexagonal solar power panels, the TIE/gt had an enlarged and reinforced hull, as well as an elongated cockpit to accommodate the starfighter's ordnance bay.
The TIE/gt was armed with a single laser cannon, and a concussion missile launcher which was designed to be modular to handle variable mission payloads. Standard TIE/gt fighter payloads consisted of twelve concussion missiles, but the launcher could handle other speciality payloads, including six proton torpedoes, eighteen air-deployed mines, two cluster bombs, or 20,000 plastic leaflets for use during propaganda campaigns.
TIE/gt fighters achieved precise targeting by operating alongside TIE/fc starfighters, which provided the bombers with pinpoint target information. Larger targets, such as buildings or capital ships could be hit without external assistance.
The TIE/gt fighter was a ground support bomber used by the Galactic Empire during its early years; its two-letter identification suffix came from its primary role as a ground-targeting starfighter/bomber. Originally, TIE bomber squadrons were comprised of TIE/gt models, but following the introduction of the TIE/sa bomber, mixed model squadrons became common. The Imperial Navy began a program of transferring TIE/gts out of naval squadrons, and relegating them either to remote outposts, or to Imperial Army controlled ground support squadrons. However, the Imperial Army resisted the Navy's overtures due the fighter's undesirability and the lack of genuine demand.
- The Star Wars Sourcebook (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Campaign Pack
- Imperial Sourcebook
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition
- "Alliance Intelligence Report: TIE Fighters"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 10
- Star Wars: Chronicles
- "Special Military Unit Intelligence Update"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 15
- The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Imperial Sourcebook
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 "Alliance Intelligence Report: TIE Fighters"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 10
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 The Star Wars Sourcebook
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels