The TIE/sa bomber was specifically designed by Sienar Fleet Systems for use in the military of the Galactic Empire. A model of light bomber, it was part of the TIE line of starfighters, distinguished by their twin ion engines and solar collector panels. The bomber measured 7.9 meters long, 10.6 meters wide, and 5.4 meters high. In keeping with the Empire's preference for muted colors, it was painted a bluish gray.
Like the TIE Advanced x1 prototype, the TIE/sa bomber had inclined wings, which maximized its speed and maneuverability while carrying mass of heavy ordnance. Unlike the other models in the TIE line, the bomber had not one but two central pods: a starboard cockpit for the pilot and a portside ordnance bay for the munitions. The cockpit featured two forward-mounted laser cannons, the standard transparisteel viewport, and an ejector seat in case a pilot on a distant bombing run needed to abandon ship.
The ordnance bay was divided into two sections. The forward ordnance bay carried either eight concussion missiles or four proton torpedoes. The main ordnance bay carried either four proton torpedoes and eight concussion missiles, or eight proton bombs and sixty-four thermal detonators, or six orbital mines, or even stormtroopers. Located underneath the ordnance pod was a bomb chute connected to the ship's targeting systems, a T-s7b targeting computer and a 398X bomb sight. The pod also featured a missile port that allowed for front-launching and torpedoes. The ordnance bay could also be swapped for a passenger cabin with room for six.
TIE bombers were a main source of anti-emplacement, anti-trap air support for the Empire. They often served in the first line of attack, and Star Destroyer captains liked to send them out to carpet bomb and weaken large targets like capital ships in space or buildings on the ground.
Three years before the Battle of Yavin, TIE/ sa bombers were being launched from a Quasar Fire-class cruiser-carrier above Ryloth to attack Cham Syndulla's rebel cell. When the Lothal rebel cell attacked, trying to capture the carrier, most of the TIE bombers were shot down by the rebels, who were manning gun stations on the carrier.
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: TIE Fighter Deluxe Book and Model Set (First identified as TIE/sa bomber)
- Star Wars Rebels: Visual Guide: Epic Battles
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 2.21 2.22 Star Wars: TIE Fighter Deluxe Book and Model Set
- ↑ Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars Rebels – "Homecoming"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Star Wars: Uprising
- ↑ Lost Stars
- ↑ Poe Dameron 10: The Gathering Storm, Part III
- ↑ A New Hero
- ↑ Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ A New Dawn
- ↑ The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight
- ↑ Shattered Empire, Part II