- "I always wanted to fly one of these things."
- ―Poe Dameron
The TIE/sf space superiority fighter was a starfighter model used by the First Order, a specialized version of the TIE/fo space superiority fighter. It was a two-seater unlike the previous TIE models, and was outfitted with enhanced weapons and sensor systems as well as hyperdrives and deflector shields. The TIE/sf was reserved for members of the First Order's elite Special Forces. On the lower side of the vehicle, directly below the primary fuel tank, was a turret containing a pair of heavy laser cannons and a mag-pulse warhead launcher.
A two-seat strike fighter used by the First Order's elite Special Forces pilots, the TIE/sf boasted weapons far more powerful than a standard TIE, combining laser cannons with a heavy weapons turret armed and warhead launcher, giving the fighter a 360 degree field of fire and ability to deliver special ordnance. Although the pilot had the ability to fire all weapons, the turret was ideally controlled by the rear-facing gunner.
Special Forces TIEs were equipped with hyperdrives to enable the fighter to go on long range missions far from a base or carrier ship, enhanced deflector shields and high-yield cells that provided additional power to onboard systems (necessary because of the more powerful weapons and stronger shields). These versatile attack ships were used for both reconnaissance and combat operations.
This variant of the TIE Fighter could be visually distinguished from its regular counterpart by the laser turret below the cockpit and the red flashes on its left side; similarly, the Special Forces pilots who operated them also had red flashes on their helmets, in a callback to the flight barons of the Galactic Empire.
Behind the scenesEdit
An scrapped idea for Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens by Lucasfilm Ltd. concept artist Doug Chiang during the early brainstorming story sessions included having TIE fighters with headlights, as he thought that it was very cool when the Millennium Falcon showed its headlights in Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back.
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Poe Dameron 2: Black Squadron, Part II (Mentioned only)
- Poe Dameron 4: Lockdown, Part I (Mentioned only)
- Join the Resistance: Attack on Starkiller Base
- "Pest Control"—Star Wars Adventures 3
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Graphic Novel Adaptation
- The Force Awakens, Part I
- Captain Phasma, Part I
- Captain Phasma, Part II
- Captain Phasma, Part III (Mentioned only)
- Captain Phasma, Part IV
- Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- "Rose Knows"—Star Wars Adventures 6
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 2
- Poe Dameron 26: The Awakening, Part I (Appears in flashback(s))
- (First pictured)
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy (as TIE Fighter Special Forces)
- LEGO Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (Set: 75101 First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter) (First identified as First Order Special Forces TIE fighter)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections (First identified as TIE/sf space superiority fighter)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: ABC-3PO
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Ultimate Sticker Collection
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Activity Book with Stickers
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 4.0 4.1
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Captain Phasma's blaster. Doug Chiang (November 29, 2018). Retrieved on December 10, 2018. "In our early days of brainstorming for EP7, I thought it would be fun to see headlights on the TIE Fighters. I always thought it was cool that the Millennium Falcon had headlights when it went into the asteroid cave in EP5. #starwars #fun #scifi"