The TIE/sk x1 experimental air superiority fighter, also known as the TIE/sk atmospheric fighter or simply the TIE striker, was a streamlined variant of the TIE line starfighters used by the Galactic Empire, most notably during the Battle of Scarif. Specialized for in-atmosphere missions, the atmospheric fighter was identifiable by its horizontal high-speed wings and large central pod. Largely because of its specialization for such missions, it is one of the few TIE lines to be used by the Imperial Army as well as the Imperial Navy.
The TIE striker featured flat, pointed wings which were specially designed for in-atmosphere combat. The starfighter was also useful for shifting supplies and personnel from orbit to the planet surface, thanks to a larger central pod. Though designed for atmosphere, it could also function in space and accompany traditional TIE fighters. Equipped with advanced high-speed wings, it was faster than the standard TIE/ln space superiority starfighter and had two extra pairs of laser barrels. The attached proton bomb launcher was particularly effective against vehicle units, dealing heavy damage over a large area. The TIE striker was able to gain speed by curling down its flat wings, engaging from flight mode to attack mode. The TIE striker can be further modified with lightweight frames, thus allowing for an increased speed.
- "I've got one on my tail!"
- ―X-wing pilot at the Battle of Scarif
In large part due to the decommissioning of many clone troopers from the ranks of the Imperial Military, fresh cadets were often utilized for piloting the TIE striker, of which at least one squadron did a fly-by near the then-under construction Death Star.
The TIE striker served the Galactic Empire during the Galactic Civil War, a galaxy-wide conflict in which the Alliance to Restore the Republic waged a rebellion against the Empire to restore democratic rule to the galaxy. The starfighter was utilized for in-atmosphere engagements and the defense of important Imperial bases. In particular, because of the secrecy behind the Imperial security complex on the jungle planet Scarif requiring a vigilant and swift defense force, the TIE pilots stationed there utilized the strikers. The TIE strikers notably defended Scarif during a Rebel attack that was part of the Rebel mission to steal the plans to the Death Star. During the battle, the TIE strikers entered dogfights with various Rebel aligned craft, with some also escorting a TIE Reaper to deliver a squad of death troopers, the personal guards for Director Orson Callan Krennic, to deal with Rogue One.
The TIE striker was still in the service of the Galactic Empire in 5 ABY, as at least one TIE striker was present at the Rothana Imperial Shipyards around the time of the Battle of Jakku. During the battle itself, TIE strikers were utilized on Jakku's surface to combat the New Republic.
Behind the scenesEdit
The TIE striker was created and developed for the 2016 film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. The TIE striker was first revealed on May 17, 2016, in a preview for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: The Official Visual Story Guide, a canceled reference book for the film.
- "The Voice of the Empire"—Star Wars Insider 170
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novel
- Star Wars Battlefront (DLC)
- Star Wars: Commander (First appearance)
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Poe Dameron 9: The Gathering Storm, Part II (Appears in flashback(s))
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Breznican, Anthony (October 31, 2016). Secrets of the TIE Striker: An EW Rogue One video. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on October 31, 2016.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars Is Adding Some Gorgeous New Ships For Rogue One
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story in the year 0 BBY.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – TIE Striker Expansion Pack (Card: Imperial Trainee—TIE Striker)
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Head to Head states that the TIE/ln space superiority starfighter had a maximum speed of 1,200 kph.
- ↑ Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – TIE Striker Expansion Pack
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – TIE Striker Expansion Pack (Card: Scarif Defender—TIE Striker)
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Poe Dameron 9: The Gathering Storm, Part II
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the Battle of Jakku in the year 5 ABY.
- ↑ Aftermath: Empire's End