Twin ion engines
Space superiority fighter
The TIE Hunter was a starfighter from the TIE series used during the Galactic Civil War by the Galactic Empire. Developed by the Empire as a means of countering the Rebel Alliance's T-65 X-wing starfighter, the TIE Hunter was used exclusively by storm commandos.
The Twin ion engine Hunter was an Imperial starfighter which had a wing configuration was roughly the reverse of a TIE/IN interceptor. Similar to the T-65 X-wing starfighter, the TIE Hunter possessed S-foils, which meant that they would open in attack mode and close in normal flight. This was largely because the TIE Hunters were created by the Galactic Empire specifically as a means to counter the T-65 X-wing starfighter. Unlike most other contemporary TIEs of the time, TIE Hunters were equipped with a hyperdrive and shields, making them more valuable than most starfighters the Empire utilized. Because of these characteristics, it was also considered to be the fastest TIE variant among the Imperial fleet. When the S-foils were closed, the craft could not fire its weapons.
TIE Hunters were piloted by one individual. They were equipped with a weapon load-out identical to that of the BTL Y-wing starfighter; two laser cannons, two ion cannons, and a proton torpedo launcher with twelve proton torpedos.
- "Using captured Imperial TIE fighters, launch a sneak attack on the Imperial shipyards of Fondor."
- ―Crix Madine telling Rogue Squadron how they are going to surprise the Empire in the Fondor shipyard assault
At some point during 3 ABY, the Imperials developed the TIE Hunters, as a means to counter the Rebel Alliance's X-wing starfighters. TIE Hunters were used exclusively by Imperial storm commandos.
A squadron of TIE Hunters was encountered by Wedge Antilles during his mission to Destrillion, although they were destroyed by the Rebel fighter ace. Several TIE Hunters were captured by the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and three of them were used in a successful raid on Fondor by Rogue Squadron shortly before the Battle of Endor. Rogue Squadron successfully made it past the shields and destroyed the unfinished Executor-class Star Dreadnought being built there.
Behind the scenesEdit
The TIE Hunters appear in the 2003 video game Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike. Players can fly the TIE Hunter in any completed mission after achieving all gold medals for the missions, and it is stored in a room in the back of the hangar.
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Crix Madine mentioned that the TIE Hunters were "new" when Wedge Antilles reported their presence at Destrillion, implying that they were created around this date, due to the Destrillion mission taking place around this time. The mission follows the Battle of Hoth, which The New Essential Chronology places in 3 ABY.
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia