|TX-130 Saber-class fighter tank|
TX-130 Saber-class fighter tank
Exo-Shell 3 Shield Projectors (2)
The TX-130 Saber-class fighter tank was equipped with twin laser cannons and a large payload of concussion missiles. Some models had a beam cannon turret on top. With a limited speed boost, Jedi pilots could remove themselves from tight combat situations, and then use the TX-130S's powerful optical zoom on the main turret to eliminate vehicles and personnel from a safe distance. Some were also equipped with an on-board R2 unit. The repulsorlift tank 's armor was light enough to maintain its maneuverability, allowing the fighter tank to be used in an anti-vehicle and infantry support role.
Constructed by Rothana Heavy Engineering, the TX-130 was 8.2 meters in length with a top speed of 320 kilometers per hour. It had room for 2 passengers, 750 kilograms of cargo, and supplies for one day. It carried 2 Exo-Shell 3 Shield Projectors.[source?]
The tank does have a few flaws though, the top turret is an open-cockpit for the gunner, meaning an enemy infantry could kill the gunner if lucky enough, the tank's rear door is also a weak spot, and if any heavy weaponry landed a hit there, the damage would be more severe than any other section of the vehicle.
The TX-130S was sometimes referred to as the "Jedi starfighter of the ground." During the Clone Wars, the versatile fighter tank saw action on planets such as Geonosis, Rhen Var, Raxus Prime, Thule, and Saleucami. Many notable Jedi piloted fighter tanks during the Clone Wars, including Mace Windu, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Luminara Unduli, and Ki-Adi-Mundi who used the Force and superior skills to get the best out of these maneuverable craft. In the hands of these Jedi, these tanks proved a match for many Separatist armored vehicles.
The tank was phased out of service shortly after the proclamation of the Galactic Empire, and was replaced by stronger variants, such as the TX-130T fighter tank and the 2-M Saber-class repulsor tank. However, production continued in secret, with several hundred models being sold to the Rebel Alliance.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- Boba Fett: Crossfire (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars game
- Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures – "Galactic Forces"
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures – "Housing furniture"
- Star Wars: Republic: Siege of Saleucami
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith novel
- Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron
- Star Wars Battlefront: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars PocketModels TCG: Ground Assault
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- Star Wars Battlefront II: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars Battlefront: Prima Official Game Guide
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- ↑ Star Wars: Battlefront
- ↑ Their first use was in the First Battle of Geonosis. The New Essential Chronology places the battle in 22 BBY.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 Star Wars: The Clone Wars (video game)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2
- ↑ Star Wars: Republic: Siege of Saleucami