- "I didn't think there was this much green in the whole galaxy."
Covered in lush forests and small lakes, Takodana was a popular departure point that offered easy access to trade routes that connected the Inner and Outer Rim. For those heading outwards toward the galactic periphery, the planet was seen as a last taste of civilization, while those heading Corewards saw it a last grasp of frontier living. Travelers found the planet's neutrality and distance from galactic politics appealing, and as a result Takodana became a haven for fugitives, smugglers, and explorers. Takodana was known as the longtime home of Maz Kanata's castle that served as an open port to spies and dubious travelers alike.
Thousands of years prior to the conflict between the First Order and the Resistance, a battle between the Jedi and Sith occurred on the planet. Maz Kanata's castle would eventually be built over the ancient battleground.
Thirty years after the Battle of Endor, Takodana was the meeting place of Han Solo, Rey, and Finn with Kanata and her associates. While at the castle, Rey uncovered Skywalker's lightsaber, which called out to her in the Force. Not long afterward, their presence was reported to the First Order by Bazine Netal and a battle ensued between the Order and the Resistance, who had earlier been alerted to the presence of BB-8 by the undercover droid GA-97. Finn took up Luke Skywalker's old lightsaber and fought for a short time in the area surrounding Maz Kanata's castle.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Force AwakensEdit
Landscape shots of Takodana were filmed in the Lake District, in the northwest of England, UK, in July 2014. "The landscape of Takodana" is a digitally modified view from over Watendlath Fell (54°31′12.74″N, 3°05′56.36″W) looking north across a digitally enlarged Derwent Water, which is shown as contiguous with Bassenthwaite Lake (which it was, briefly, in December 2015 after serious flooding). The large mountain on the skyline to the right is recognisably Skiddaw, the fourth-highest summit in England.
"The Millennium Falcon arriving at Maz Kanata's castle" is a view southwest across the face of Walla Crag (54°35′14.06″N, 3°07′12.50″W), which overlooks the town of Keswick. Maz Kanata's castle is digitally added to the real Derwent Water, and the fells of Cat Bells and Maiden Moor are clearly recognizable.
The planet Takodana also appeared in the 2016 non-Canon LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures episodes "The Test" and "The Kyber Saber Crystal Chase". Both episodes made use of plot elements from The Force Awakens including Maz Kanata and her castle. "The Test" also introduced Takodana's third moon, which was home to varactyls. The existence of Takodana's third moon was at variance with the 2016 Canon reference book Star Wars: Complete Locations, which stated that the planet did not have a moon.
- "A Recipe for Death"
- Ahsoka (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Commander (First pictured)
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- "The Face of Evil" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- The Force Awakens, Part III
- The Force Awakens, Part IV
- The Force Awakens, Part V (Mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Test"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Kyber Saber Crystal Chase"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Maker of Zoh" (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Resistance Rises – "Hunting for Han"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- (First mentioned)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- ↑ Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ "The Face of Evil"
- ↑ Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ Ahsoka
- ↑ Star Wars Places – Takodana. Star Wars Places. Retrieved on June 21, 2016.
- ↑ LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Test"