Could one of you please source this correctly? The Article is entirely based off of information from this link: http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/jakku-pre-order-offer
It confirms the title of New Republic for the Rebellion.
Hayden 19:18, April 17, 2015 (UTC)
Merge unneeded Edit
Can confirm the organization in question is Distinct from the the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Removing Merge suggestion. Hayden 19:43, April 17, 2015 (UTC)
- is the resistance just another name for the new republic or is it another organization, because both are canon organizations. --126.96.36.199 23:09, April 17, 2015 (UTC)Tacolyte3
- While both are apparently canon, we don't have an inkling about the relationship between the two or even if the New Republic is around during the events of the Force Awakens, as the only mention of it is in relation to a battle a year after the conflict at Endor. Time will tell, I suppose.--Cyrannian 23:15, April 17, 2015 (UTC)
- I will remove the reorganized section really quickly.
Hayden 20:29, April 22, 2015 (UTC)
I think that the Alliance to Restore the Republic became the New Republic after the Battle of Endor, then some time after the Battle of Jakku it turned into the Resistance. So one this the successor of the other.Flux 345 (talk) 21:39, April 22, 2015 (UTC)
- i believe the New Republic has became fragmented but still is in control of most of the Galaxy , the Resistance is just an offshoot that broke away from the main group.--188.8.131.52 22:19, April 22, 2015 (UTC)Tacolyte3
- If the Legends New Republic and Rebel Alliance pages can be kept separate despite their relation to each other why can't the canon pages? 184.108.40.206 22:31, April 22, 2015 (UTC)
- the battle of jakku between the new republic and the galactic empire was one year after the death of dearth sidious , so we should at least say that the new republic was formed before one year . As to the above theory it says rebels equals resistance, not new republic equals resistance , so it is very possible that the alliance split in two , speculation I know , but I'm saying its possible . 220.127.116.11 18:03, June 16, 2015 (UTC)Tacolye3
Canon Material Edit
As of the new novels and the new comic shattered empire it is canon that the new republic controls the inner rim , and Part of the center rim , including corasunt , and naboo , and Luke attempted to refound the Jedi Order on the planet Devoran . --18.104.22.168 19:38, September 10, 2015 (UTC)
- Okay, you can probably start adding in that info. I plan on reading them myself soon, only read Aftermath thus far, so I'll be able to help out soon. Reddyredcp (talk) 19:55, September 10, 2015 (UTC)
support of resistanceEdit
I know it references support of the resistance in the opening crawl, but the visual dictionary and multiple other sources clearly state that the new republic did not sanction the resistance, and "barely tolerated it". that does not sound like support. We should change this—Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs).
- I don't necessarily disagree. The Republic may not have liked the First Order, and have been more on par with the Resistance, but they did have an armistice with the former - not to mention, this person is correct in stating that the Republic did not sanction the actions of the Resistance, and even saw Leia as a product of her time, essentially paranoid and perhaps even delusional, and thought the galaxy was peaceful and alright. Reddyredcp (talk) 03:07, December 20, 2015 (UTC)
"At some point, the republic formalized its support of the resistance".
Um, when did this ever happen. I dont see it any of the texts. All I see is that the NR barely tolerated the resistance. When did it ever openly formalize support?!?
- Good question. That would be speculation. The New Republic could still very well exist, as well as rebuild its Senate and military forces after the destruction of the Starkiller. We don't know the status of the Republic one way or another right now. - Brandon Rhea(talk) 00:35, December 27, 2015 (UTC)
- I don't think so. The New Republic could still be around even with the destruction of the Senate, there could be more than 1 senate. And there could be more Fleets anywere in the Galaxy.(User talk:Jesse220) 20:08, January 21, 2017 (UCT)
opening crawl infoEdit
the opening crawl is as canon as it gets. It references support given to the resistance from the republic. This should be mentioned at least once
New Republic appearances in Shattered Empire, Part IVEdit
So according to the Star Wars: Galactic Atlas, the events of Shattered Empire, Part IV take place in 5 ABY and the New Republic was already in existence by this time should we add the Shattered Empire, Part IV to the appearance section and make the necessary adjustments to the pages that have it still listed as the Alliance?Jkirk8907 (talk) 22:01, March 20, 2017 (UTC)
Rotating Capital? Edit
So a question: according to the article the capital of the New Republic is rotating and apparently changes yearly (not sure if the yearly thing is 100% confirmed but Chandrila was the capital in 4 ABY and Nakadia in 5 ABY so that seems to fit). However Hosnian Prime was the capital in 28 ABY and still held that position six years later, during the events of Force Awakens. So is the Capital still rotating or at some point did the Senate vote to stay on that world indefinitely? Or did the rotating thing only come up in the Aftermath series, after Bloodlines came out and that's the reason for the continuity error?--Hiigara129 (talk) 06:58, November 25, 2017 (UTC)
- It's unclear how the political process has changed. It's also possible that they could just vote for the same capital endlessly; essentially, "no term limits" for their rotating capital. It should be noted that Bloodline establishes that there's tons of political gridlock at the time between the Centrists and the Populists, so perhaps that's bogged down the electoral procedure for a new capital, and they simply didn't resolve it just yet. Whatever it is, it's speculation at this point. Reddyredcp (talk) 07:01, November 25, 2017 (UTC)
- Make's sense. I didn't even think that the Centrist/Populist deadlock would block even the basic functions of government. I can definitely see each faction blocking a potential capital/host world if it's represented by the opposing faction. Can't imagine that there's all that many neutral senators left by Hosnian Prime's destruction. Hopefully though we'll get an official answer.--Hiigara129 (talk) 00:40, November 27, 2017 (UTC)
- On one hand it may be a cruel assessment, but on the other strictly logically spoken with the whole "gridlock"-factions and all associated Senators from both sides gone thanks to Starkiller it may be what the remnants of the New Republic need to get finally back on track (like in Legends against the Vong which then resulted in the Galactic Alliance). It would be totally unrealistic and I refuse to believe that the fleet stationed as Hosnian was the only fleet the NR has at its disposal. There should be local sector fleets and defense forces at least in the Core, Colonies and Inner Rim regions that can still put up a fight. Of course with the whole NR high command lost as well there will be confusion and they need time to establish a new chain of command, but that should be what General Leia and her Resistance are doing right now. Slow down and distract the First Order so that the rest of the Galaxy can rebuild.126.96.36.199 16:21, December 16, 2017 (UTC)