- "Who's Tanith?"
"She was my sister. She died when I was seven."
- ―Jyn Erso and Hadder Ponta
Tanith Ponta was a human female who lived on the planet Skuhl during the Age of the Empire. After the death of her father, Ponta found solace in piloting the family's shuttle, helping her mother Akshaya run the family business and teaching her brother Hadder how to fly. However, Ponta's piloting resulted in a diagnosis of bloodburn, a rare terminal illness. To treat the disease, Ponta took hadeira serum, and the bloodburn's effects slowed, but Ponta grew dependent on the drug. In the year 15 BBY, Ponta overdosed, and she died. Ponta's death led Akshaya to fear for Hadder's health, and she grounded him on Skuhl. A decade after Ponta's death, Akshaya met the sixteen-year-old girl Jyn Erso, and she allowed Erso to stay in Ponta's bedroom. In the following years, Erso used "Tanith Ponta" as an alias to avoid Imperial attention.
Behind the scenesEdit
Tanith Ponta was first mentioned in Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide as one of the aliases used by Jyn Erso. The book was written by Pablo Hidalgo and published by Dorling Kindersley on December 16, 2016 in conjunction with Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Ponta was later established as a character in Rebel Rising, a young adult novel written by Beth Revis and published by Disney–Lucasfilm Press in 2017.
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First mentioned; albeit indirectly)
- Forces of Destiny: Tales of Hope & Courage
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide states that Jyn Erso was eight years old in 13 BBY. When Erso is sixteen in Rebel Rising, Hadder Ponta states that Tanith Ponta died a decade prior. Using simple math, it can be deduced that Tanith Ponta died in 15 BBY.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Rebel Rising
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide