| Biographical information
|Chronological and political information|
- "The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."
- ―Leia Organa
Wilhuff Tarkin was a Human male who served the Galactic Republic and, later, the Galactic Empire. During the Clone Wars, Tarkin served as a Republic captain and was taken prisoner by the Confederacy of Independent Systems, before escaping with the help of a Jedi and clone trooper strike team. He was later promoted to Admiral and presided over the trial of Ahsoka Tano, who was framed for the bombing of the Jedi Temple Hangar.
After Supreme Chancellor Palpatine transformed the Republic into the Galactic Empire, Tarkin became a regional Governor and commanded the Death Star. He believed that fear of the battle station would keep the local systems loyal to the Empire, and used it to destroy Alderaan to showcase the station's power. The Rebel Alliance, however, stole plans to the Death Star and was able to destroy it during the Battle of Yavin, killing all those on board—including Tarkin.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Counterattack"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Citadel Rescue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Point of No Return"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Jedi Who Knew Too Much"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "To Catch a Jedi" (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Wrong Jedi"
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- Tarkin (First identified as Wilhuff Tarkin)
- Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (First appearance)