The Tarkin Doctrine, also known as the Doctrine of Fear and officially known as Imperial Communiqué #001044.92v, was a message originally sent direct to Emperor Palpatine from then Moff Wilhuff Tarkin. The transmission detailed methods for maintaining order and increasing security within the Galactic Empire. It became one of the most important documents regarding Imperial policy.
- "The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."
- ―Princess Leia
The Tarkin Doctrine suggested the creation of Oversectors to more properly handle Rebel threats in a group of systems, the use of the HoloNet to coordinate Sector Groups, and the concept of rule through fear of force, rather than force itself, with a weapon of unimaginable power as the symbol of this fear. However, neither Tarkin, nor the Empire, were hesitant to use force. Its main purpose was fear, however, destroying planets was also well within its capability.
Emperor Palpatine was very impressed with the ideas, so much that all the suggestions were implemented, with Tarkin promoted to the new rank of Grand Moff, making him the first of the Grand Moffs, and placed in charge of Oversector Outer, which was most of the Outer Rim Territories. In addition, he was given command of four Sector Groups. However, Palpatine increasingly changed Tarkin's original words to his own meaning, "Rule through fear instead of through idealistic government agencies".
As a result of Palpatine's misinterpretation of the Tarkin Doctrine, the Empire was unsuccessful in instilling the fear necessary to keep the systems in line. Even the Death Star produced the exact opposite results it was intended for—instead of cowing under the threat of such a weapon, the people viewed its victims (particularly the unarmed planet Alderaan) as martyrs and rallied to the Rebellion's cause. Although much of this effect might be put down to the fact that the Death Star itself was destroyed only a matter of days later, countering the image of an 'invincible' weapon handily, and leaving only the rage of countless people at the destruction of one of the most peaceful worlds in the Galaxy in its place.
|Source: Imperial Sourcebook||Attribution: Wilhuff Tarkin|
Coupled with increased resistance to your plans from hot-headed young Senators, this situation has given me pause to think about our long term security arrangements. I myself have been frustrated chasing pirate bands in my sector, only to have them leap deep into a neighboring sector where my forces cannot follow without running into conflict with another Moff. If the scattered armed resistance should become organized, it will doubtless follow the example of its criminal brethen. Granting any rebel group the advantage of elusiveness is foolhardy at best. At worst, it could lead to our destruction.
Even the excellent pace with which His Majesty is increasing the size of the Imperial Fleet can scarcely hope to provide all-encompassing security should a significant number of planets decide to defy your New Order. We are years—perhaps decades—away from a force vast enough to secure every system and every world simultaneously.
Therefore, I present the following recommendations for your consideration:
I am ready to begin work to implement these steps at your word.
|This work is copyrighted. The individual who uploaded this work asserts that this qualifies as fair use of the material under United States copyright law.|
- Death Star (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Empire 8: Darklighter, Part 1
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Force Commander (Mentioned only) (Game manual)
- Star Wars: Rebellion (Mentioned only)
- Shadow Stalker (Mentioned only)
- Galaxy of Fear: Planet Plague (Mentioned only)
- "Small Favors"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 12 (Mentioned only)
- Dark Apprentice (Mentioned only)
- Imperial Sourcebook, First Edition (First identified as Tarkin Doctrine)
- Death Star Technical Companion
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition
- Imperial Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars Miniatures Battles Companion
- The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- The Essential Chronology
- Death Star Designer
- The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 74 (CRE1, Creating the Death Star)
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- "Imperial Officers Field Guide"—Star Wars Insider 96
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 8
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 9
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- "10 Great Military Leaders"—Star Wars Insider Special Edition 2013
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Core Set (Card: Imperial Command)
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Grand Moff Tarkin (★★))
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Grand Moff Tarkin (★★★★))