- "I'm feeling something from these tassels..."
- ―Jacen Solo
The set of tassels later designated the Lorrd Artifact were created by Lumiya in the archaic pattern-based languages from different species and cultures found throughout the galaxy. It contained both Jedi and Sith morals. It was discovered by Wedge Antilles and Tycho Celchu who traded them to Jaina Solo and Zekk for other clues right after the attack on the Kuati Toryaz Station in which drugged assassins were brought to the station to kill the Jedi and politicians, both from Corellia and the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances. Jacen Solo felt a Force connection to the tassels and followed up on the clue. Through the Force he was able to decipher one himself, but he contacted a couple of scientists to translate the rest.
As Jacen discovered the messages locked within the tassel's meaning with the help of Heilan Rotham, a scholar from Lorrd, he and his companions Ben Skywalker and Nelani Dinn were led to a woman calling herself Brisha Syo. Brisha turned out to be none other than Dark Lady of the Sith Lumiya, who had created the tassels in the hopes of leading Jacen to her so that she could seduce him to the dark side of the Force. Once Jacen decided to take the path of the Sith, the prophecies in the tassels served as a sort of guideline for the steps he must take to ascend as a Sith Lord.
Each tassel contained a message encoded in a different form of tactile communication. They are given below in the order translated, which was mostly from top to bottom—except for the last, which was translated out of sequence by Jacen himself once Rotham was done reading off the rest.
- He will remake/rename himself—from the endangered Firrerreo culture.
- He will ruin those who deny justice—from the Bith Aalagar race.
- He will choose the fate of the weak—from the prisoners of Kessel.
- He will immortalize his love—from the dark-sided sentient mynock species native to the Home.
- He will choose how he will be loved—from the Alderaanian flower language.
- He will win and break his chains—from the homeless subculture of Coruscant.
- He will shed his skin and choose a new skin
- He will strengthen himself through sacrifice
- He will crawl through his cloak
- He will know brotherhood
- He will make a pet
- He will strengthen himself through pain—from the Twi'lek Tahu'ip culture.
- He will be drawn from peace into conflict or possibly His life will be balanced between peace and conflict—from the Sith statuary language of Ziost.
Jacen Solo later had many questions about the texts as many of the events prophesied were capable of being accomplished through a number of ways. However, Lumiya was unable to give him definitive answers as the only true way to understanding the prophecies was by understanding the answer in ones heart.
An alternate order of the Tassels was later revealed, apparently following the sequence in which Jacen fulfills the prophecies:
- He will strengthen himself through sacrifice—through various ruthless acts, Jacen had strengthened his resolve while sacrificing the approval of everyone close to him.
- He will ruin those who deny justice—through his work with the Galactic Alliance Guard (among other things), Jacen had taken extreme measures to bring about justice.
- He will immortalize his love—this was Jacen's next step: to kill those he loved most. He initially believed that this must be Tenel Ka and Allana. However, after seeing Allana, he decided against this, instead feeling that his parents should be his sacrifice. Eventually, however, Mara Jade Skywalker turned out to be his real sacrifice. After killing her, he reflected that by killing Ben's mother, he had sacrificed the love and adoration of his cousin which he treasured.
- Betrayal (First appearance)
- Tempest (Mentioned only)
- Sacrifice (Mentioned only) (First identified as Lorrd Artifact)
- Revelation (Mentioned only)