Tatoo II was a G2-type main sequence binary star, sister of G1-type Tatoo I. They formed the Tatoo system with the planets Tatooine, Ohann, and Adriana. The system lied at the crossroads of the Triellus Trade Route and the Old Corellian Run in the Arkanis sector of the the Slice's Outer Rim segment.
Tatoo II was formed when a hydrogen molecular cloud collapsed. Through most of the its life, energy was produced by nuclear fusion which converted hydrogen into helium. Each second, more millions metric tons of matter were converted into energy within the Tatoo II's core, producing neutrinos and solar radiation. It had a lifespan of ten billion years as a main sequence star. Tatoo II did not have enough mass to explode as a supernova. At the end of its lifespan, stars of its kind entered a red giant phase, its outer layers expanding as the hydrogen fuel in the core is consumed and the core contracts and heats up.
Children on Tatooine would often tell stories of huge, powerful dragons that would live inside the two great suns that would shine down upon them. Smaller cousins of these dragons were to live in the fusion furnaces that powered many types of machinery and vehicles.[source?]
- See also: History of the Tatoo system
Some early explorers thought the first planet of the system to be the third star, because of its blazing light reflected by its sodium-rich deserts. Tatooine had a strong presence in the Force, which led the Infinite Empire of the Rakata to the star system of Tatoo II. The collapse of their empire in 25,200 BBY caused the system to left alone for some millennia. The Galactic Republic explored the segment of the Slice in which Tatoo II was located during the Great Manifest Period and the Indecta Era. By 1,004 BBY, the nearby region belonged to the New Sith Empire, including the Hutt Space, a large region of the known galaxy controlled by the Hutt species. After the Seventh Battle of Ruusan in 1,000 BBY the region remained in Hutt control until the reign of the Galactic Empire. During the Galactic Civil War the system changed hand several times: it's region was taken from the New Republic by the Empire during the Thrawn campaign, but was left after the Grand Admiral's death. Later the space around the Tatoo II was controlled by the Galactic Alliance, until the Sith–Imperial War 127–130 ABY, when the Fel Empire conquested much of the known galaxy, but was quickly replaced by Darth Krayt's Sith Empire.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Old Wounds
- The Princess Leia Diaries (Ambiguously canonical source)
- Sandstorm (Ambiguously canonical source)
- Falling Star (Ambiguously canonical source)
- Skippy the Jedi Droid
- Melvin Fett
- "Fortune, Fate, and the Natural History of the Sarlacc"—Star Wars Tales 6
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, First Edition
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, First Edition
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded
- The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire Embossed Metal Collector Cards (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
- The Essential Atlas
- The Written Word