- "There's a battle going on -- right here in our system!"
- ―Luke Skywalker
Tatoo system was a binary star system located at the crossroads of the Triellus Trade Route and the Old Corellian Run in the Arkanis sector of the Slice's Outer Rim segment. The system formed around the G-type stars Tatoo I and Tatoo II, and contained Tatooine, its moons Ghomrassen, Guermessa and Chenini, the gas giants Ohann and Adriana, and their seven moons.
Some early explorers thought the first planet of the system to be the third star, because of it blazing light reflected by its sodium-rich deserts. Tatooine had a strong presence in the Force, which led the Infinite Empire of the Rakata to the Tatoo system. The collapse of their empire in 25,200 BBY caused the system to be left alone for some millennia. The Galactic Republic explored the segment of the Slice wherein this system was located during the Great Manifest Period and the Indecta Era. By 1004 BBY, the nearby region belonged to the New Sith Empire, including Hutt Space, a large region of the known galaxy controlled by the Hutt species. After the Seventh Battle of Ruusan in 1000 BBY the system remained in Hutt control until the reign of the Galactic Empire.
Galactic Civil WarEdit
In 0 BBY during the Galactic Civil War, Senator Leia Organa acquired the plans of the DS-1 Orbital Battle Station, simply known as the first Death Star. While carrying the plans aboard the CR90 corvette Tantive IV to the Alliance to Restore the Republic, the ship was captured by the Imperial I-class Star Destroyer Devastator in the Tatoo system. Princess Organa placed the plans in the R2-series astromech droid and ordered him to carry it to former Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi. R2-D2 rode a Class-6 escape pod with the protocol droid C-3PO to the planet Tatooine. After caught by a clan of the native junk-trader Jawas, and brought by the moisture farmer Owen Lars, the droids met with Kenobi. Meanwhile, the stormtroopers of the Desert Sands tracked the droids and killed the Jawas and the Larses. Luke Skywalker, orphaned nephew of Lars joined Kenobi in his quest to carry the plans to Alderaan. After in Mos Eisley they hired Captain Han Solo and Chewbacca, crews of the YT-1300f light freighter Millennium Falcon, they breached the blockade of Tatooine and left for Alderaan with the plans.
In 1 ABY, the Tatoo system was put under Imperial curfew by a Nameless Moff. Ackmena, the bartender of Mos Eisley Cantina on Tatooine, was the one to receive the message, who reluctantally reponded by singing to her guests to leave.
During the Galactic Civil War the system changed hand several times: it's region was taken from the New Republic by the Empire during the Thrawn campaign, but was left after the Grand Admiral's death.
Later the space around the Tatoo system was controlled by the Galactic Alliance, until the Sith–Imperial War 127–130 ABY, when the Fel Empire conquested much of the known galaxy, but was quickly replaced by Darth Krayt's Sith Empire.
Behind the scenesEdit
The game Star Wars: Rebel Assault shows an asteroid field right outside or near Tatooine. Although this isn't a contradiction, the field doesn't appear in any other official source. However Star Wars Galaxies shows an asteroid field near Tatooine.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- Star Wars: Battlefront II (Appears only in non-storyline event)
- Giant spiders are awesome
- LEGO Star Wars: The Quest for R2-D2 film
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
- Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope (As "Tatooine star system")
- Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi (As "Tatooine system")
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire trading cards (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- "Inside Attack of the Clones: Tusken Raider Encampment"—Star Wars Insider 62
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption: Prima Official Game Guide
- Visual Guides
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook