- "If Master Obi-Wan caught me doing this, he'd be very grumpy."
- ―Anakin Skywalker as he used telekinesis on a piece of fruit to entertain Padmé Amidala.
Telekinesis was the ability to lift, move and otherwise manipulate objects using the power of the Force. For a sufficiently skilled practitioner, the size of the object did not matter. One could lift something as small as a piece of fruit to an X-wing starfighter, as well as dispel gaseous substances.
Once, when having a meal with Padmé Amidala, Anakin Skywalker used telekinesis to manipulate a piece of fruit. He lamented that Master Obi-Wan Kenobi would be grumpy if he knew that he was doing it because a Jedi was not supposed to use the Force for frivolous purposes.
Luke Skywalker lamented the fact that Kenobi had never addressed the subject of telekinesis in his lessons during the brief time that he trained under him, likely because Kenobi felt he wasn't ready to train in something that was considered an advanced field of study. The power could be used to focus the kyber crystal used in a lightsaber using one's mind. Skywalker decided to give it a try, but couldn't seem to get the hang of it at first. He was pleased when he was finally able to access the ability.
When Luke Skywalker was training under Master Yoda, he was tasked with lifting his X-wing starfighter out of a Dagobah swamp, but did not believe it was possible. Yoda proved him wrong by completing the task himself, after which Skywalker again expressed disbelief. Yoda told him this was why he failed.
Kylo Ren was skilled in telekinesis, able to suspend a blaster bolt in midair and leave it harmlessly hanging until he left the scene. He could immobilize victims in a paralyzing grip, to the point where he could control their motor skills. His grip allowed him to squeeze a specific body part, allowing him to choke people and even cause them to glide across the floor, which he did to a subordinate, summoning him by the neck to his hand. Rey, despite having no formal training in the use of the Force, was able to override Ren's attempt to use telekinesis to summon a lightsaber that had once belonged to Luke Skywalker, summoning it to her own hand instead.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Obi-Wan had never addressed telekinesis with me. It was likely that I wasn't strong enough to begin training in such an advanced field of study. That didn't mean I shouldn't try."
- ―Luke Skywalker in his personal writings
Telekinesis first appeared in the original Star Wars films and in the continuity of Star Wars Legends covered a wide range of named abilities including the Force choke and Force Pull. Telekinesis was first identified by name in canon in the 2015 novel Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne.
- ; image #12
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ; image #27 (of 29)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Breaking Ranks"
- ↑ Star Wars 7: From the Journals of Old Ben Kenobi: The Last of His Breed
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Heir to the Jedi
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Zillo Beast Strikes Back"