- "Sir! They've gone up the ventilation shaft!"
- ―Tey How
Tey How was the female cyborg Neimoidian communications officer for the Trade Federation Lucrehulk-class battleship Saak'ak. Her vocabulator and data goggles allowed direct communication with the ship. She was also the pilot.
She was present when the two Jedi Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi attempted to break into the bridge shortly before the Invasion of Naboo began. She informed her superiors that they lost communication with the squad of battle droids dispatched to ensure the Jedi were destroyed (under the belief that they dioxis gas killed them), before sealing the bridge at Gunray's command. After Kenobi and Jinn were forced to retreat from the droidekas, How informed her superiors that the two Jedi had entered the ventilation shafts.
During the Battle of Naboo, she was stationed aboard the Droid Control Ship Vuutun Palaa and under Captain Daultay Dofine's orders launched the droid forces after the N-1 starfighters, as well as activated the ground troops upon their deployment during the concurrent Battle of the Grassy Plains. After Anakin Skywalker destroyed the ship's main reactor with two proton torpedoes and set off a chain reaction, How made her soon-to-be final damage report to Dofine, who dismissed it as "impossible" and that a starfighter could never have penetrated the ship's deflector shields. How was later killed, along with her Captain and cohorts inside the ship, when the chain reaction triggered by the main reactor's destruction caused the control computer console to explode in front of the crew, just as the bridge was incinerated by the explosion.
Personality and traits
Behind the scenes
Originally created for the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, Tey How was voiced by Amanda Lucas (credited as Tyger) and an uncredited Marc Silk, aboard the Saak'ak and Vuutun Palaa respectively. As a result, Decipher's Star Wars Customizable Card Game erroneously identified Silk's character as a separate Neimoidian known as Sil Unch, even though the screenplay had assigned his dialogue to How. However, Leland Chee considered this an error and How became the pilot of both ships as was originally intended, while Unch was retconned into a separate Neimoidian seen on the left of both vessels' bridges.
In Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace 1, How does not speak, with all of her dialogue cut or reassigned to different characters. It is P-59 who reports that Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi had escaped through a ventilation shaft, while an unidentified Neimoidian alerts Gunray of Amidala's transmission. This continued in Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace 4, where the Vuutun Palaa's imminent destruction was instead reported by a Daultay Dofine-lookalike. In addition, How was mistakenly drawn with green skin and without her cybernetics, revealing her to have red eyes. In Star Wars Episode I: I Am a Pilot, How was mistakenly identified as male.
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace novelization (First appearance) (Voice only)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace 1 (First pictured)
- Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace 4
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace PhotoComic
- Star Wars Manga: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace Illustrated Screenplay (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace script facsimile
- Star Wars Episode I: I Am a Pilot (Picture only)
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: Episode I
- Young Jedi Collectible Card Game - Duel of the Fates (YJCCG) (Card: )
- Secrets of Naboo
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Coruscant Limited (Card: Tey How)
- Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- (Picture only)
- "The Devious Neimoidians Revealed"—Star Wars Insider 147
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "The Devious Neimoidians Revealed"—Star Wars Insider 147
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace 4
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Coruscant Limited (Card: Tey How)
- ↑ (Slide 3)
- ↑ Marc Silk: Voice Actor - The Voice Of Your Imagination - biography. Archived from the original on June 20, 2017. Retrieved on June 20, 2017.
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Theed Palace Limited (Card: Sil Unch)
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace Illustrated Screenplay
- ↑ Creating & Naming 'The Devious Neimoidians'. Star Wars Sourcebooks (January 19, 2014, 11:40 pm).
- ↑ Secrets of Naboo
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace 1
- ↑ Star Wars Episode I: I Am a Pilot