The Essential Chronology is a reference book published by Del Rey, the sixth book in the Essential Guide series. It was written by Kevin J. Anderson and Daniel Wallace, and illustrated by Bill Hughes. It was first published April 4, 2000.
The book provides an in-universe perspective on the complete history of the Star Wars saga, from pre-Republic history to just before the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, drawing upon both well-known and obscure sources to tie together and reconcile the various Expanded Universe tales. However, due to the book's date of publication, little is mentioned about the Prequel era and the Clone Wars other than the events of the Phantom Menace.
- ISBN 0345434390; April 4, 2000, Del Rey, 208-page paperback
- ISBN 837245521X; Amber, 208-page Polish paperback
It spans galaxies, encompasses kingdoms and powerful dynasties, chronicles wars, and charts the rise and fall of individuals who changed the course of their times. Now, at last, the many strands of this extraordinary saga are drawn together—from the original movies, from the novels, from every verifiable source—and tied together in one, comprehensive volume.
- Experience the overthrow of the Empire, the birth of the New Republic, the founding of Skywalker's Jedi academy, the marriage of Han Solo and Princess Leia Organa, and much more!
- Introduction for Students of History
- Note on Dating Conventions
- Part I: Tales of the Ancient Jedi Knights
- Emergence of the Sith
- Legacy of the Sith
- Part II: The Empire and the New Order
- Part III: Profiles in History
- Han Solo
- Lando Calrissian
- The Skywalkers
- Part IV: Rebellion against the Empire
- Part V: Birth of the New Republic
- Part VI: Empire Resurgent
- Part VII: The Return of the Jedi Knights
- Part VIII: Uprisings and Insurgencies
- Part IX: A Lasting Peace
- Part X: Generations of Jedi Knights
- Time Line
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
The book contains several errors, some of which are due to sources published afterwards revising original dates. Among them are:
- That Vergere's mission to Zonama Sekot took place after the Outbound Flight Project.
- That the New Republic was aware of Nom Anor's involvement in the Imperial Interim Council.