- "Jealousy is the path to chaos."
"The Rise of Clovis" is an episode of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series that was scheduled to air in the series' fifth season, though it was removed from airing with Season Five. It premiered on the German TV network Super RTL on February 22, 2014 with other sixth season episodes. It was made available in the United States and Canada via Netflix on March 7, 2014.
"Back on Coruscant, Clovis—known traitor of the Republic—makes a dubious deal which puts him at the head of the Banking Clan. Anakin's increasing distrust and hatred of Clovis strains his relationship with Padmé to breaking point."
Rush Clovis and Padmé Amidala have escaped to Coruscant with proof of the InterGalactic Banking Clan's deception. The Core Five tells Nix Card that Anakin Skywalker should never have been allowed to leave with the Senator, and that any further disruption to their plans will be blamed on him. The board's leader, Clu Lesser, tells the group that in addition to the files, Clovis will also need details of their accounts. Card retreats to his quarters where he contacts Darth Sidious, who tells him that their plan can proceed, and assures him that he will be protected.
On Coruscant, Yoda meets the ship's arrival with four Senate Guards to escort them to the Chancellor's office. Clovis pleads his case before Chancellor Palpatine, Senator Bail Organa, and several members of the Jedi High Council. Organa is skeptical of Clovis, given his past treachery, but Clovis assures them his only concern is the integrity of the banks. The files show that large amounts of credits have been transferred to private accounts, leaving the bank void of capital. Padmé vouches for Clovis, and the Chancellor requests she work closely with Clovis to investigate the scheme. Anakin begs, then demands, Padmé not take the assignment, but she insists he must trust her.
Obi-Wan Kenobi visits Anakin to discuss his and Yoda's concerns that his judgments concerning Clovis are "clouded". After attending the opera together, Clovis shows Amidala that the files show that the Separatists have not been paying interest on their loans, but the Banking Clan is lending credits to the Republic that it does not have. As they share a meal, Clovis tells her how he rose to such heights in the Banking Clan: his father was a human advisor to a Muun banker, and when he died in a shuttle accident, Clovis was adopted and raised by the Muun as his own child. He thanks Padmé for trusting him, but questions her about her relationship with Anakin, which she denies. As Clovis tries to kiss her, Anakin enters the room and begins to choke Clovis with the Force. As he draws his lightsaber, Clovis challenges him to fight without his "Jedi tricks", and the two engage in a vicious hand-to-hand fight as Padmé begs them to stop. As he beats Clovis, Anakin realizes which he is doing and stops the fight. Captain Typho enters the room, and Clovis tells him that they were attacked and that Skywalker had saved him.
As Clovis leaves to be treated for his wounds, Anakin apologizes for his attack on Clovis, but Padmé tells him that their relationship is based on lies and secrecy, and his lack of trust in her means she no longer feels safe. She says they should not see each other again for a while. The 2-1B surgical droid treating Clovis brings him a message from Count Dooku: the Confederacy will pay the interest on their loans, give Clovis the details of the secret Muun accounts, and will support his elevation to leader of the Banking Clan.
Senator Nix Card announces to the Chancellor that the Muun government has arrested the heads of the Banking Clan for corruption. With the endorsement of the Chancellor and the Separatist government to become the new leader of the banks, Clovis faces a hostile Senate where he pleads his case and presents the evidence of the Banking Clan's corruption. The Senate is convinced, and a majority votes for Clovis to take control of the IGBC, however Anakin warns Palpatine that Clovis is not to be trusted.
Following the original airing order from Star Wars Insider 134, "The Rise of Clovis" was to be the sixth episode of Season Five, but this was later revised to "A Test of Strength." Along with the episodes "An Old Friend" and "Crisis at the Heart," "The Rise of Clovis" was pushed back later in the series' broadcast order. It did not air in Season Five as originally scheduled.
According to Series Writer Brent Friedman, the story arc that "The Rise of Clovis" is a part of initially included the episode "A Friend in Need," but the arc was later split between seasons, with "A Friend in Need" being released with the series' fourth season.
During the fight between Anakin and Clovis, it is possible to hear "The Imperial March".
- Catherine Taber as Padmé Amidala, Quarren Senator
- Robin Atkin Downes as Rush Clovis, Aqualish Senator
- Matt Lanter as Anakin Skywalker, Senator
- Corey Burton as Count Dooku, Nix Card, Neimoidian Senator
- Ian Abercrombie as Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious
- James Arnold Taylor as Obi-Wan Kenobi, Core Muun #2
- Tom Kane as Yoda, Announcer, Muun
- Phil LaMarr as Bail Organa, Clu Lesser, Senator Zinn Paulness
- Stephen Stanton as Mas Amedda, Medical Droid, Core Muun #1
- James Mathis III as Captain Typho
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Canon organizations and titles
Legends organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars Staffel 6 Episodenguide. Fernsehserien.de. Retrieved on February 13, 2014.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 148
- ↑ "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 134
- ↑ "100 and Counting"—Star Wars Insider 139
- ↑ Rebels Report #2: Behind the Scenes with Brent Friedman. Rebels Report (2013-11-22). Retrieved on November 23, 2013. "[starting around 27:39] In the early days of The Clone Wars, if you remember, there were—sometimes you'd get a two-episode arc, and then the next season there'd be the prequel to that arc. So I think that Clovis arc was actually part of a four-episode arc, but it was broken up into pieces. There was like that one standalone episode that was the standalone episode in Season Five? If I remember correctly. The one… it's set in the snow? With Ahsoka and Lux."