The University of Theed was constructed around the time of the city's founding circa 832 BBY. Located near the Royal Palace, the university served the citizens of Theed for centuries, producing well-educated individuals to work as politicians, legislators, lawyers and with a specialization in political science, civics, and law. In addition, the university was responsible for educating many a reputable artist, activist, engineer, and scientist.
The future Galactic Emperor and Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious, known then as Palpatine, attended the university. Palpatine would have been expelled from the institution following a string of brushes with the law, were it not for his father's intervention. It was at the campus of Theed University, in the small square outside the library of the Legislative Youth Program headquarters building, that Palpatine met his Sith mentor, Darth Plagueis, c. 65 BBY. Around the year 32 BBY, the president of the Refugee Relief Movement, Ruwee Naberrie, would serve as a frequent guest lecturer, teaching microeconomics course periodically. Lufta Shif, the Naboo Royal Advisory Council's Education Regent under Queen Amidala's rule, was also one of the university's teachers.
- Darth Plagueis (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (Mentioned only in a deleted scene)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones novel
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: Episode I (First mentioned)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 90 (NAB 5-6, Ruwee Naberrie)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 139 (LUF 2, Lufta Shif)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Nexus of Power