Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A thermal exhaust port was an outlet for dissipating the excess heat produced by the large energy reactors used on board starships and space stations or in certain ground-based structures. These ports drew excess heat energy away from the reactors and other equipment in a structure and expelled it into space or the atmosphere to prevent damage to systems or injury to the crew from heat build-up.
Thermal exhaust ports were notoriously vulnerable to damage or sabotage. An explosion in an exhaust port could trigger an explosive chain reaction that caused the main reactor to go critical and explode. For this reason, they were often protected, either physically, or with ray shielding against energy weapons.
The destruction of the first Death Star at the hands of Luke Skywalker famously demonstrated how critically vulnerable and overlooked the placement of these ports could be. The Death Star's thermal exhaust port was a significant flaw in the design that the Rebels were able to exploit during the Battle of Yavin. This led to the thermal exhaust ports to be removed for the Death Star II, although the Death Star III retained this weakness.
In another example, Imperial Robotics Construction Facility Ice Station Beta was destroyed by Kyle Katarn when he planted sequencer charges in thermal exhaust ports throughout the facility.
- Death Star
- Star Wars Journal: The Fight for Justice
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novel (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars: Trench Run
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (Non-canonical appearance)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars: X-Wing
- Star Wars: Rebel Assault
- Star Wars: Dark Forces
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- Star Wars 29: Dark Encounter (Mentioned only)
- Crisis on Cloud City
- Black Ice
- Legacy 6: Broken, Part 5 (Mentioned only) (As exhaust vent)
- An Imperial Advertorial (Non-canonical appearance)
- Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi
- Death Star Technical Companion
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook
- Death Star Technical Companion, Second Edition
- Star Wars: Rebellion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Luke Skywalker (Special))