A thermal oscillator was a component found in various vehicles and machines. A large thermal oscillator was on the Starkiller Base superweapon, preventing the planet from destabilizing. Starkiller Base used the power of a star to collect dark energy, which then was used to destroy distant star systems. In order to store this energy, the thermal oscillator generated an oscillating containment field which allowed the installation to expend considerably less power than normal at containing the vast amounts of dark energy it required to run.
One large thermal oscillator was located in Precinct 47 of Starkiller Base, where an attack was led by the Resistance to disable and destroy it before the weapon could fire on D'Qar. The attack was successful, preventing the firing of the superweapon and causing the planet to implode as the containment field failed.
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- The Force Awakens: Rey's Story
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Graphic Novel Adaptation
- The Force Awakens, Part V
- The Force Awakens, Part VI
- Poe Dameron: Flight Log