|Seizure of the Seswenna sector|
- "The fighting continues in the Minos Cluster, but we received dispatches last week indicating that the Seswenna sector had been lost."
- ―Jedi Knight Gnost-Dural
In 3671 BBY, during the Great Galactic War between the Old Republic and resurgent Sith Empire, the Seswenna sector in the Outer Rim Territories was attacked and seized by Sith forces. This military operation finalized the Imperial conquest of the Outer Rim and allowed for the Sith Emperor to initiate plans for an attack on the Mid Rim, specifically the Republic-allied world of Bothawui.
- "When the Emperor planned the Republic's destruction, he did not foresee the need for alliances. The Sith would sweep through the galaxy, systematically exterminating their age-old Jedi enemies and dismantling the proud Republic."
When the once-decimated Sith Empire returned to the galaxy and initiated the Great Galactic War, it focused its operations in the Outer Rim Territories—a region weak in both Galactic Republic loyalty and defense priority. The Sith Emperor was highly successful in his campaigns in the region and quickly claimed victory in the Aparo sector, the Sluis sector, the Rimma Trade Route, and the entirety of the Tingel Arm, among other territories. The Empire initiated a blockade of the Rimma Trade Route in that first year of the war, but their fleet, stationed in the Seswenna sector, was defeated by the Republic Navy one year later.
- "After the Sith offensive seized the Seswenna sector of the Outer Rim, the Imperial armada tuned its sights closer to the Core. The Mid Rim."
- ―Jedi Master Gnost-Dural
While Republic leaders remained incapable of deciding a proper response to the Empire's attacks, the Empire returned to the Seswenna sector in 3671 BBY and retook the region, thereby finalizing the Imperial conquest of the Outer Rim. Among the casualties of the battle was Republic Captain Joron Tal'vor, the husband of Republic Army officer Elin Garza.
- "Believing the Republic was still recovering from its heavy losses, Imperial forces charged into Bothan Space, where they were caught off guard by the full force of the Republic fleet."
- ―Jedi Master Gnost-Dural
The capture of the Seswenna sector marked a turning point in the war. Confident that the Outer Rim was no longer in need of the undivided attention of his military, the Emperor began plans for an incursion into the Mid Rim—one step closer to the Core Worlds of the Galactic Republic. Less than a week after the victory in the Seswenna sector, the Imperial Armada sent a strike fleet to attempt a seizure of the world of Bothawui. The attack was predicted by Admiral Greik of the Republic Navy and so met with failure, but the Emperor would attempt another attack shortly thereafter. Sometime after the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant, which ended the war, Jedi Master Gnost-Dural made mention of the capture of the Seswenna sector in a holorecord for the Jedi Archives.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Sith Empire's seizure of the Seswenna sector was first mentioned in the fifth installment of the Galactic Timeline, entitled The Battle of Bothawui. The Galactic Timeline is an online promotional feature for the LucasArts / BioWare video game Star Wars: The Old Republic. The installments are available through The Holonet section of the official Old Republic Web site. The battle was again mentioned in The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural—an in-universe sourcebook that was included with collector's editions of The Old Republic. Both the book and the game were released on December 20, 2012.
- Timeline 5: The Battle of Bothawui (First mentioned)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 Timeline 5: The Battle of Bothawui
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 According to Timeline 5: The Battle of Bothawui, this conflict occurs eighteen years before the Treaty of Coruscant. The Treaty was proposed and ratified in 3653 BBY, as seen in the novel The Old Republic: Deceived.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Timeline 6: Onslaught of the Sith Empire
- ↑ Timeline 1: Treaty of Coruscant
- ↑ Buy Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. swtor.com. BioWare (2012). Retrieved on October 11, 2012.