Thrantas were a group of flying animals originally found on Alderaan. While there were multiple species and breeds varying in size and functions (some for personal travel, others for massive air ferries), most thrantas served the purpose of being air transport.
Common thrantas and Balana thrantas survived the extinction of most Alderaanian life by the first Death Star however, due to a few members of their species being shipped to the tibanna gas-rich planet Bespin. There they enjoyed the open skies under the watchful care of the mysterious Thranta Riders. A large variety known as giant thrantas, larger versions of the common kind, were similarly preserved. However, all other species of the group were apparently wiped out along with their homeworld.
Some thrantas were also transplanted to Coruscant but died due to the air pollution, and only on Bespin could one see the thrantas thrive as a tourist attraction to the world as either wild beasts or in thranta rodeos.
Thrantas stayed aloft using airsacs in their bodies. They fed upon small flying creatures and airborne zooplankton.
Many species of thranta existed on Alderaan before the first Death Star destroyed them.
- Pilotta thranta
- Balana thranta
- Great thranta
- Common thranta, also known as the Alderaan thranta or the Bespin thranta
- Giant thranta
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- The Bounty Hunters: Aurra Sing
- Boba Fett: Crossfire
- "The Princess Leia Diaries"—Star Wars Tales 11 (Ambiguously canonical source)
- Rebel Dawn (Mentioned only)
- Rebel Force: Hostage
- "The Most Dangerous Foe"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 11 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Empire 20: A Little Piece of Home, Part 1
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (Mentioned only)
- Young Jedi Knights: Trouble on Cloud City
- Omen (Mentioned only)
- Allies (Mentioned only)
- The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- Alien Anthology
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- "On Our Planet: Alderaan"—Star Wars Kids 5
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- The Unknown Regions