The Thranta-class was the workhorse of the Republic Navy, being produced in large numbers to take the place of the Hammerhead-class cruiser of the Jedi Civil War and the Praetorian-class frigate of the Great Sith War. It was slightly smaller than the Hammerhead-class cruiser but was completely dwarfed by the premier warship of the Republic Navy during the Great Galactic War and Cold War, the Valor-class cruiser.
The crew of these ships was similar to that of a Hammerhead-class cruiser but the exact number is undetermined.
The Thranta-class Corvette possessed two main heavy dual turbolasers mounted in the forward position, similar to that of the Hammerhead-class cruiser, and numerous turbolasers and missile launchers throughout its hull, making it deadly to enemy ships and allowing it to inflict major amounts of damage. There is a more heavily modified type of this ship class allowing it to take on a fleet of corvettes and heavy frigates and win against them before the onset of the Great Galactic War. Unlike the standard variant, this one was not widely used by the Galactic Republic. The armament of this ship's class was powerful enough for it to match the fire power of a Gage-class transport or a Terminus-class destroyer, but lacked the firepower to go head to head against the Harrower-class Dreadnought and heavier warships. To compensate for this, they were grouped together using pack tactics to take down larger vessels.
Thranta-class Corvettes hold two hangars on the port and starboard sides of the ship allowing it hold 24 Liberator-class Republic starfighters to counter the MK. VII advanced interceptors, as well as a number of shuttles; to protect the hanger and the personnel against the vacuum of space, a shield is activated over the opening and it is also suspected that during space battles this opening can be sealed off to prevent boarding. This class also held a number of boarding pods that would punch through the hull of enemy ships.
The Thranta-class Corvette is powered by a type-4 Hypermatter annihilator located directly within the bowels of the ship, with power running through it to destroy itself and half of a fleet if the restraints keeping it stable are released.
For sublight propulsion, the Thranta-class relied on an array of four banks of two sublight ion engines while having two hyperspace ion engines for additional thrust in emergency situations.
Prior to the onset of the Great Galactic War, the Thranta-class ships acted as peacekeeping battleships in several sectors of Republic space, dealing with disputes and pirate forces that were plaguing certain areas. Thranta-class ships fought in many battles during the Great War, including the battle to end the Mandalorian blockade of the Hydian Way. After the end of the war, these corvettes participated in skirmishes with Imperial forces. One of these skirmishes was the Black Talon, an Imperial transport ordered by Grand Moff Kilran to attack and either capture or kill "the General" aboard the Brentaal Star on route to a planetary system. Once the Black Talon attacked, aiming for the power generators, the Brentaal Star fired its turbolasers, missile launchers and several boarding pods. After the Brentaal Star's boarding party was defeated, a strike team from the Black Talon boarded the Star and completed the mission. With the mission complete, the Black Talon retreated to hyperspace before incurring any damage.
A number of these vessels were used in conjunction with a number of Valor-class cruisers, under the command of Jedi Master Oteg, during the raid on the Imperial compound of Taral V, shooting down Imperial bombers in order for the Republic strike team to recover a Gree computer. These vessels would later serve to engage Imperial forces protecting the Maelstrom Prison that held Jedi Master Revan for 300 years. At the end of the mission, these ships would fall back along with Oteg's flagship and the other remaining Republic vessels.
After the release of Revan, Imperial forces captured a single Thranta-class Corvette named the Dorin's Sky in order to pass the Republic blockade protecting the Foundry, carrying a strike team on the orders of Darth Malgus to defeat its master and to take the facility in the name of the Empire during this time an Imperial Fleet entered the system and engaged the blockade.
Later in the Cold War, a single Thranta-class Corvette named the Aurora served as the flagship for Jedi Master Kellian Jarro, the final target for the Great Hunt. Many tried to kill the Jedi Master and failed until the Grand Champion of the Great Hunt's ship was caught in the Aurora's tractor beam and brought into the hangar bay which started a battle that resulted in the death of the Jedi Master. This ship would later be destroyed during an explosion shortly after the schism inside of it.
The Thranta-class continued in service long after the Great Galactic Wars ended, lasting over a millennium, like the Hammerhead and Praetorian models.
- Timeline 9: The Mandalorian Wars
- The Old Republic, Blood of the Empire Act 1: Shades of the Sith (First identified as Thranta-class Republic Corvette)
- Timeline 2: The Mandalorian Blockade is Broken (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- The Old Republic: Annihilation (First identified as CR-12 corvette)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Strongholds
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Eternal Throne
- Developer Walkthrough (First identified as Thranta-class warship)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- The Essential Guide to Warfare (First identified as Thranta-class cruiser)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Codex Entry: "Thranta-class Corvette"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Timeline 2: The Mandalorian Blockade is Broken
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- ↑ The Old Republic: Annihilation
- ↑ Timeline 9: The Mandalorian Wars
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Developer Walkthrough
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare