Thrawn is an upcoming novel written by Timothy Zahn. The novel is about the character Thrawn, who was canonically reintroduced in the third season of Star Wars Rebels. Zahn was the creator of the original character in the author's Thrawn Trilogy. The novel is scheduled to be released on April 11, 2017.
One of the most cunning and ruthless warriors in the history of the Galactic Empire, Grand Admiral Thrawn is also one of the most captivating characters in the Star Wars universe. From his introduction in bestselling author Timothy Zahn's classic Heir to the Empire, through his continuing adventures in Dark Force Rising, The Last Command, and beyond, Grand Admiral Thrawn has earned an iconic status among Star Wars' greatest villains. But Thrawn's origins and the story of his rise in the Imperial ranks have remained mysterious. Now, in Star Wars: Thrawn, Timothy Zahn chronicles the fateful events that launched the blue-skinned, red-eyed master of military strategy and lethal warfare into the highest realms of power—and infamy.
After Thrawn is rescued from exile by Imperial soldiers, his deadly ingenuity and keen tactical abilities swiftly capture the attention of Emperor Palpatine. And just as quickly, Thrawn proves to be as indispensable to the Empire as he is ambitious; as devoted as its most loyal servant, Darth Vader; and a brilliant warrior never to be underestimated. On missions to rout smugglers, snare spies, and defeat pirates, he triumphs time and again—even as his renegade methods infuriate superiors while inspiring ever greater admiration from the Empire. As one promotion follows another in his rapid ascension to greater power, he schools his trusted aide, Ensign Eli Vanto, in the arts of combat and leadership, and the secrets of claiming victory. But even though Thrawn dominates the battlefield, he has much to learn in the arena of politics where ruthless administrator Arihnda Pryce holds the power to be a potent ally or a brutal enemy.
All these lessons will be put to the ultimate test when Thrawn rises to admiral—and must pit all the knowledge, instincts, and battle forces at his command against an insurgent uprising that threatens not only innocent lives but also the Empire's grip on the galaxy—and his own carefully laid plans for future ascendancy.
Thrawn was first announced at Celebration Europe 2016, as part of the revelation that Grand Admiral Thrawn would be appearing in the third season of the animated television series Star Wars Rebels. The novel was announced in a video from Timothy Zahn, the novel's author and the creator of the original character from Star Wars Legends. Shortly after the novel's announcement, Zahn revealed on his Facebook page that he had finished the first draft of the novel, and would be sending it to Del Rey and Lucasfilm Ltd. for their input.
Thrawn will cover the course of several years, starting with the first time Thrawn encountered the Galactic Empire and ending just before the start of Star Wars Rebels Season Three. In an interview with StarWars.com, Zahn revealed that he was including some minor references to his past Legends stories that included Thrawn, but nothing too blatant.
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12
- ↑ Star Wars Thrawn (official). Behance. Retrieved on July 24, 2016.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017) on the Jedi Council Forums (Literature board; posted by Tom Hoeler on 03/13/17 7:00pm; accessed March 13, 2017)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 6.11 6.12 6.13 6.14 6.15 6.16 6.17 6.18 Thrawn (Star Wars). Penguin Random House. Retrieved on January 21, 2017.
- ↑ Zahn announces that Thrawn's first draft is complete.. Timothy Zahn (July 16, 2016). "One other quick note: The news that I will be writing a new Star Wars book is not *technically* correct ... ... because I've finished. Well, the first draft, anyway. Now it goes to Del Rey and LFL for their input."
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 Del Rey Sampler: Thrawn
- ↑ 9.00 9.01 9.02 9.03 9.04 9.05 9.06 9.07 9.08 9.09 9.10 9.11 9.12 9.13 9.14 9.15 9.16 Stefan Kyriazis (2017-03-16). Star Wars EXCLUSIVE: Read the FIRST moment we ever met Thrawn – Opening chapter here. Retrieved on March 16, 2017.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 10.5 10.6 10.7 Read an excerpt as Thrawn returns to 'Star Wars' book universe
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Ready for Rogues and Rebels SLC Comic Con