- "Yeah, a tibanna gas mine. Lando conned somebody out of it."
- ―Han Solo
Tibanna was a gas found at high-pressure in the upper atmosphere of the gas giant Bespin. It was used in hyperdrives, starship weaponry, and as a coolant around the gravito-active elements of repulsorlifts, which made it a valuable resource. Once processed, tibanna could be suspended into a block of frozen, super-strong carbonite and safely transported on a repulsor sled. The highly reactive nature of tibanna gas made it quite explosive, a fact that was used by clone troopers to destroy a Republic outpost on the moon of Rishi that had been taken over by Separatist droids during the Clone Wars. The metropolis of Cloud City, which floated high above the gaseous surface of Bespin, was a mining colony where Tibanna was harvested and processed for export. The Mid Rim planet Kril'Dor was a known source of tibanna.
After the Galactic Empire suffered a major defeat at Endor, Governor Adelhard ordered the lockdown of the Anoat sector, where Bespin was located. With the blockade, Cloud City became the only place where Tibanna could be found, and the demand for that gas rose dramatically. Consequently, the Trade Spine League made money on transporting Tibanna to various worlds in the Anoat sector. The Galactic Empire, however, intended to take Cloud City in order to cut off the sector's population from their much-needed Tibanna supplies.
A rarer and more pure form of Tibanna gas was known as Interstellar gas, and was highly sought after by hyperspace scouts.
- Obi-Wan & Anakin, Part V (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rookies"
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- Rebel Rising (Mentioned only)
- Lost Stars (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Battlefront (DLC)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (Mentioned only)
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- The Original Trilogy Stories
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Before the Awakening (Mentioned only)
- Poe Dameron 15: Legend Lost, Part II (Mentioned only)
- "Classic Moment: Lando's Second Surprise"—Star Wars Insider 152
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas