Twin Ion Engine starfighter
- "You always hear them first. Twin ion engines make TIE fighters howl as they fly by on patrols."
- ―Ezra Bridger
The TIE/LN starfighter, commonly known simply as the TIE fighter, was the signature starfighter of the Galactic Empire, with a later model being used by the First Order. They were instantly recognizable from the roar of their engines and carried locator beacons enabling them to found by the Empire. Designs for the TIE fighter were partly based on the Eta-2 Actis-class interceptor.
TIE/LN starfighter were small in size and manufactured en masse by the Empire. Seemingly a disposable vessel, Wilhuff Tarkin dreaded the thought of ever having to pilot one due to its cramped cockpit.
During the reign of the Empire, TIE fighters were favored for their versatility, if not for their durability. They were able to operate both in space as well as in planetary atmospheres, acting as fighters or scouts. One great advantage of the TIE fighter was the fact that it was not simply limited to linear flight, like other fighters of its time. On occasion the fighters demonstrated ability to hover in place and even fly completely sideways, adding to the usefulness of the fighter as a scout vehicle. As part of the five year plan for the industrialization of the Outer Rim Territories, TIE fighters were produced on a number of planets, including Lothal. TIEs produced in Sienar's factories on Lothal had shorter, sturdier wings. This allowed the fighters to make surface landing, a feature not included in the standard TIE.
At least a month after the Battle of Jakku, all TIE/LN starfighters were upgraded with advanced weaponry, allowing them to punch through an enemy fighter's shields as well as hull, destroying them in a single hit.
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- Ultimate Sticker Collection: Star Wars Rebels
- "Hera: A New Breed of Hero"—Star Wars Insider 151
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- "Rebel Rouser"—Star Wars Insider 152
- "A Trip to the Light Side"—Star Wars Insider 152 (Picture only)
- "The Making of A New Dawn"—Star Wars Insider 152
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Rebels: Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook
- (Set: 75106 Imperial Assault Carrier)
- Star Wars Rebels: Fight the Empire
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as TIE/LN starfighter)
- Star Wars Rebels: Rebel Power!
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Rebels Annual 2016
- ; image #8 (of 10)
- ; image #8 (of 16)
- ; images #3, 5, 8 (of 8)
- ; image #5 (of 5)
- ; image #11 (of 12)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Head to Head
- ↑ 5.0 5.1
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy
- ↑ Aftermath
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Tarkin
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Fighter Flight"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Empire Day"
- ↑ Lost Stars
- TIE fighter on Wikipedia