- "It was just after four o'clock on November 6, 1989, and I was three days into writing my first novel for my new publisher, Bantam Books, when the phone rang. It was my agent. 'Tim,' he said after the usual pleasantries, 'we have a very interesting offer here.'"
- ―Timothy Zahn
Timothy Zahn is a science fiction novelist. He is best known for the Thrawn Trilogy (consisting of Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command) which, alongside Dark Empire, began an explosion of Expanded Universe media. Following these works, Star Wars novels and story collections by authors such as Kevin J. Anderson and Michael A. Stackpole were released, reinvigorating a franchise that had been largely dormant for years. Zahn also wrote two additional Star Wars novels, collectively called The Hand of Thrawn Duology (consisting of Specter of the Past, and Vision of the Future). Recently he wrote the stand-alone novels Survivor's Quest, Outbound Flight, Allegiance, and Choices of One. He has also contributed to the script of several comics and short stories over the years, including Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand.
Zahn's work is not limited to Star Wars. He has also written the widely popular Conquerors' Trilogy, which tells the story of a war between Humans and a race of aliens that have indestructible spaceships and a "elder" form after death.
The Thrawn Trilogy
- Heir to the Empire (1991)
- Dark Force Rising (1992)
- The Last Command (1993)
- Survivor's Quest (2004)
- Outbound Flight (2006)
- Allegiance (2007)
- Choices of One (2011)
- Scoundrels (2012)
- Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand (graphic novel) with Michael A. Stackpole
- Mara Jade: A Night on the Town, comic in Star Wars Tales 1
- Specter of Thrawn (cancelled)
- "First Contact", short story in Tales from the Empire (1994)
- "Mist Encounter," short story in Star Wars Adventure Journal 7, later printed in the paperback version of Outbound Flight (1995)
- "The Saga Begins," short story in The DarkStryder Campaign (1995)
- "Hammertong," short story in Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina (1995)
- "Sleight of Hand," short story in Tales from Jabba's Palace (1996)
- "Command Decision," short story in Star Wars Adventure Journal 11 (1996)
- "Side Trip," with Michael A. Stackpole, novella in Tales from the Empire (1997)
- "Jade Solitaire," short story in Tales from the New Republic (1999)
- "Interlude at Darkknell," with Michael A. Stackpole, novella in Tales from the New Republic (1999)
- "Handoff," short story in Star Wars Gamer (2002)
- "Hero of Cartao," short story in Star Wars Insider (2003)
- "Duel," short story / Hasbro tie-in. (2003)
- "Fool's Bargain," short story in e-book format, later printed in the paperback version of Survivor's Quest (2004)
- "Changing Seasons," short story in Star Wars Insider (2004)
- "Judge's Call," short story on Del Rey's website. (2004)
- "Buyer's Market," short story published in Star Wars Insider 126 (2011)
- "Crisis of Faith," novella included in the 20th Anniversary Edition of Heir to the Empire. (2011)
- "An Apology," short story created as an April Fools' Joke. (2012)
- Prior to being contracted to write a ninth novel, Zahn had expressed an interest in writing more Star Wars novels and specified a number of plot ideas, including stories about the Skywalker family, the further adventures of the Hand of Judgment, and more of Thrawn and Mara's backstories.
- At Celebration III, Zahn said he would like to write a novel set after Legacy of the Force featuring Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade Skywalker, and a teenage Ben. But the possibility of a novel with the Skywalker family in this time period ended when Mara died in Sacrifice. However, in a recent interview with TheForce.Net Zahn has said he still wants to do a Skywalker family novel or more tales of the Skywalker family with Luke, Mara, and Ben, but it would have to be set before Legacy of the Force. In response to a fan's question at a writer's workshop, Zahn said that, if given the choice, he would love to write a Skywalker family novel with Luke, Mara and Ben before Mara's death.
- In response to a fan's question (also at C3) he stated he would be interested in revisiting the character of Thrawn if it involved a new threat that only a clone of the Grand Admiral could solve. The clone would become unsure of himself due to the massive expectations placed upon him. Zahn said at a book signing with the 501st in Philadephia that he would like the Thrawn clone to team up with Ben Skywalker.
- There is some demand on TheForce.Net's literature message boards to have Zahn do a novel or a trilogy of novels set after the Fate of the Jedi series possibly featuring an adult Ben Skywalker and his adventures possibly including him meeting a clone of Thrawn as Zahn had once said he wanted to do.
- He has stated that he's written a story detailing how Baron Soontir Fel leaves Imperial service and joins the Chiss Ascendancy, but it has yet to be published.
- Zahn is currently working on a new Star Wars novel called Scoundrels which will be set in the Rebellion era and will feature Han Solo and Chewbacca. The book is set to be released on December 26, 2012.
Notes and references
- ↑ Timothy Zahn Returns with a New Novel
- ↑ Sue Rostoni's StarWars.com Blog (content now obsolete; backup link on Archive.org)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Interviews - Face To Face With The Masters
- ↑ Meeting Tim Zahn-Questions on the Jedi Council Forums (Literature board; posted by Coonsan on 2/5/07 12:20pm)
- ↑ Timothy Zahn is DESPERATELY needed for a current-era novel! on the Jedi Council Forums (Literature board)
- ↑ Timothy Zahn's facebook page