- "I'm going to get one of those stupid training sabers…"
- ―Rosh Penin
Commonly thought to be low powered lightsabers, training lightsabers, also known as training sabers and practice sabers, were actual lightsabers that possessed a highly intensified electromagnetic containment field which was far more difficult to penetrate than that of a standard lightsaber. Thus the energy which formed the blade was better contained and able to do far less damage, and would result in welts, bruises, and minor burns instead of amputation or death. This feature could be readjusted by a fully trained Jedi to enable a Knight or Master to utilize a trainee's weapon in emergencies. These types of lightsabers were commonly used by Jedi Initiates and younglings.
Using the training weapons, younglings learned the basics of wielding a lightsaber. Like a regular lightsaber set to low power, they could not sever limbs or pierce flesh. Skin contact was painful, producing burns which could cause serious welts and bruises.
- Red Harvest
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
- Jedi Apprentice: The Rising Force (First appearance)
- Jedi Apprentice Special Edition: Deceptions
- Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan: Last Stand on Ord Mantell 2
- Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan: Last Stand on Ord Mantell 3 (Mentioned only)
- Kinect Star Wars (Ambiguously canonical source)
- Rogue Planet (Mentioned only)
- Jedi Quest: Path to Truth
- Jedi Quest 1
- Jedi Quest: The Master of Disguise
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- Legacy of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Lightsaber Lost"
- MedStar II: Jedi Healer (Mentioned only)
- Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
- Star Wars: General Grievous
- Star Wars: Republic: The Hidden Enemy (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
- Attack of the Clones: The Visual Dictionary
- Power of the Jedi Sourcebook
- Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force