- "Will you shut up and listen to me? Shut down all garbage mashers on the detention level, will you? Do you copy?"
- ―Luke Skywalker, to C-3PO
A garbage compactor, trash compactor, or garbage masher was a metal chamber used to store and compress waste. The walls would come together, compressing and crushing the garbage in the process.
When Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Chewbacca rescued Leia Organa aboard the first Death Star in 0 BBY, they were forced to blast their way into unit 3263827. Since garbage chute sensors identify types of waste and direct them to the right compactor, Luke, Han, Leia, and Chewbacca ended up in recyclable waste owing to their armor and weapons. Once inside, they were unable to leave because the door was magnetically sealed, preventing blaster bolts from penetrating. A dianoga attacked and almost killed Skywalker when it took him underwater. When the creature released Skywalker, the walls began to rumble and edge toward each other, threatening to crush the companions trapped inside the masher. However, they were saved when C-3PO, Skywalker's protocol droid, managed to have all the garbage mashers on the detention level shut down.
Thirty-four years later, during the Assault on Starkiller Base, Solo asked Finn, a former First Order stormtrooper who had sanitation duties at the base, if the location happened to have trash compactors. Finn used his knowledge to find one, and they forced their prisoner, Captain Phasma, down the garbage chute.
- A New Dawn (Mentioned only) (First identified as trash compactor)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Warhead" (Mentioned only) (as "trash compactor")
- Bounty Hunt
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Episode IV: A New Hope Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Darth Vader 12: Shadows and Secrets, Part VI (Mentioned only) (as "trash compactor")
- Doctor Aphra 1: Book I, Part I (Mentioned only) (First identified as waste compactor)
- Aftermath (Mentioned only) (as "trash compactor")
- Star Wars: Uprising (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Life Debt (Mentioned only)
- Bloodline (Mentioned only) (First identified as garbage compactor)
- "All Creatures Great and Small"
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (Mentioned only) (as "trash compactor")
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel (Mentioned only) (as "trash compactor")
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- The Force Awakens, Part V
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes (as "Garbage Compactor")
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- (as "trash compactor")