Erected in the city of Theed sometime after the city's founding circa 832 BBY, the Triumphal Arch was one of two major arches located on the ceremonial Palace Plaza at the center of the city. Because Palace Plaza was the major thoroughfare to the Royal Palace, most visitors to the structure passed under the arch to reach it.
During the Trade Federation invasion of the planet, Federation battle droids escorted Queen Padmé Amidala and her retinue of handmaidens when Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi liberated them and fled the planet. Over a decade later former queen and senator Amidala was killed, supposedly by a Jedi; her state funeral passed under the arch on its way to the Funeral Temple.
Decades later, immediately following the death of Emperor Palpatine, the citizens of Naboo stormed the Royal Palace and liberated the city. In the celebration that followed, Naboo and Gungans alike took to the streets, with some even climbing atop the arch to celebrate their freedom.
- Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith novelization (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (post-DVD releases)