- "Those Tuskens walk like men, but they're vicious, mindless monsters."
- ―Cliegg Lars
Tusken Raiders were a species native to the desert world of Tatooine. Their homeworld's harsh environment resulted in them being extremely xenophobic & territorial of their native resources, often attacking the outskirts of smaller settlements such as Anchorhead. The Sand People believed that all water was sacred and promised to them, resulting in them raiding moisture farms set up by colonists. Additionally, Tusken Raiders harvested black melons which grew in the Jundland Wastes, providing them with a reliable source of milk.
Tusken clan groups consisted of 20 to 30 individuals, and were led by clan leaders, tribal chiefs, and warlords. The Sand People communicated in a language known as Tusken. At the age of 15, a Tusken became an adult, and had to slay a krayt dragon and cut out the precious pearl found in its stomach. Tuskens inhabited encampments scattered across an area of the rocky Jundland Wastes known as The Needles, which were guarded from intruders by vicious massiffs.
Male Tusken Raiders were the warriors of their clans, often attacking vulnerable travelers that were unfortunate enough to wander through their territory. They wielded gaderffii sticks in combat, and used Tusken Cyclers to fire on vehicles they spotted. Every Tusken warrior created their own gaderffii stick, making each one unique. Males wore rough wrappings and garments that provided protection and allowed ease of movement. Females could be distinguished by their elaborate jeweled masks with eyeslits and torso-covering sand-shrouds. Tusken children wore unisex cowls and simple cloaks, and couldn't dress like males or females until they reached adulthood. All Sand People wore mouth grilles and eye coverings to retain moisture and keep sand out. They were forbidden to remove their clothing in front of others, except at childbirth, on their wedding night, and at coming-of-age ceremonies.
The Sand People and banthas shared a close, almost mystical bond. During warrior initiation rites, a young Tusken was given a bantha matching their own gender and learned to care for it, with the pair becoming extremely close as the youth earned a place in its clan. When Sand People married, their banthas also mated, and, should its rider die, their bantha usually perished shortly after. If a bantha died before its rider, its remains were placed in a large graveyard, which was treated with great respect by Tuskens and other banthas.
During the Boonta Eve Classic, several Sand People camped out on Canyon Dune Turn. During the first lap, they took several shots at passing podracers with their projectile rifles. Though initially unsuccessful, on the second lap a Tusken managed to shoot down the podracer of pilot Teemto Pagalies, causing it to crash.
A month before the Battle of Geonosis, Sand People attacked the Lars moisture farm and kidnapped Shmi Skywalker Lars, whom they imprisoned and tortured. Her son, the Jedi Padawan Anakin Skywalker, returned to Tatooine to rescue her, but after finding her in a Tusken camp, she died of her injuries. The vengeful Anakin proceeded to slaughter every nearby Tusken, even the women and children. Following the massacre, the Tuskens began to fear Skywalker as a vengeful desert demon, and began performing ritual sacrifices to ward him off.
Age of the EmpireEdit
In 2 BBY, while searching for Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ezra Bridger and C1-10P were ambushed by a tribe of Tusken Raiders, who succeeded in destroying their ship before being killed by the former Sith apprentice Darth Maul.
Galactic Civil WarEdit
Two years later, Anakin's son Luke was attacked by A'Koba and a group of Tuskens after venturing from the homestead to retrieve R2-D2. Fortunately, Obi-Wan Kenobi warded off the Tuskens by imitating the cry of a krayt dragon, Tatooine's deadliest predator.
Shortly after the Battle of Yavin, Darth Vader slaughtered a village of Tuskens prior to his meeting with bounty hunters Boba Fett and Black Krrsantan. Following the attack, the Tuskens then built a shrine to Vader, in order to sacrifice some of themselves to ensure that he would not return.
Sometime after, a Tusken known as the "Jundland General" led his people in a series of coordinated strikes against the colonists of Tatooine. However, the efforts of him and his followers were crushed by a group of mercenaries led by Saponza and his partner.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Tuskens appeared initially in the second draft of Star Wars: A New Hope, as Imperial spies deployed as a platoon onto the surface of Tatooine to search for whatever had brought Deak Starkiller to that planet. They appeared to be humanoid, with red eyes, and drove distinctive landspeeders. They became a native people of Tatooine in the third draft.
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First (Mentioned only)
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars
- Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Darth Vader: Sith Lord
- Star Wars: Force Collection
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- ↑ The Force Awakens: Head-to-Head
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 "Rites"—From a Certain Point of View
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ Star Wars: Force Collection
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 "Reirin"—From a Certain Point of View
- ↑ Star Wars 7: From the Journals of Old Ben Kenobi: The Last of His Breed
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Twin Suns"
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Darth Vader 1: Vader
- ↑ "Coda"
- ↑ The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film
- Tusken Raiders on Wikipedia
- Star Wars Sand People Under the Tusken Sun
- Tusken Raiders on the Family Guy Wiki