The U-55 orbital loadlifter, also known as U-55 loadlifter and, informally, as a lifeboat, was a type of transport manufactured by Sienar Fleet Systems. It was used by the Resistance during its war with the First Order.
The U-55 loadlifters were built by Sienar Fleet Systems. During the First Order–Resistance war, many of the craft used by the Resistance were equipped with cloaking systems. The system was developed by the technician Rose Tico using a computer system to baffle their energy signals. But these ships lacked shielding, making them vulnerable without Starfighter escort or capital ship support.
The Resistance used these loadlifters to evacuate the base on D'Qar, earning the moniker "lifeboat". During the attack on the Resistance fleet, the transports were used to evacuate the ships that ran out of fuel, such as the Ninka and the Anodyne. Thirty of the U-55 transports were used to evacuate the Raddus, but only six made it to Crait when the First Order fleet opened fired its heavy turbolaser towers on them. They were subsequently abandoned when the remaining survivors fled aboard the Millennium Falcon.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (First appearance) (DLC)
- The Last Jedi: Bomber Command (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 1
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as U-55 loadlifter; simultaneous with Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections (First identified as U-55 loadlifter; simultaneous with Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Ultimate Sticker Collection