Umbara, known as the "Shadow World" due to the lack of sunlight on its surface, was a planet located within the Expansion Region. The planet was also an exporter of doonium, a metal utilized in the construction of starships. During the Clone Wars, the planet was initially part of the Galactic Republic before seceding to join the Confederacy of Independent Systems. The planet subsequently fell under the power of the Galactic Empire. During the Imperial Era, Captain Thrawn suppressed an uprising on Umbara that had been engineered by the shadowy insurgent leader Nevil Cygni.
Umbara was a planet in the Expansion Region that experienced no sunlight on its surface, earning the name "Shadow World." Situated within the occluding Ghost Nebula, Umbara was cut off from the rest of the galaxy. This resulted in the development of advanced technologies that far exceeded the galactic standard by the native Umbarans, though it was difficult for non-Umbarans to use the technology. Among these breakthroughs were a gas that stimulated soldiers to fight longer and harder.
Umbara also had large doonium reserves, which led to the emergence of a substantial mining and refining sector in its economy. The planet was also known to have several moons including an outermost one.
During the initial stages of the Clone Wars, Umbara was a member of the Galactic Republic and was represented by Senator Mee Deechi in the Galactic Senate. Following Senator Deechi's assassination, Umbara defected to the Confederacy of Independent Systems. In response, the Grand Army of the Republic would launch a successful invasion of the Shadow People's homeworld.
Shortly after landing, Anakin Skywalker was called back to Coruscant at Chancellor Palpatine's request. Jedi General Pong Krell took over the 501st in Anakin's absence. After Krell betrayed the 501st Legion by telling them that the soldiers of the 212th Attack Battalion were actually Umbarans disguised as clone troopers, Clone Captain Rex realized Krell was working for the Separatists. The Clone Sergeant Dogma, feeling betrayed killed Krell while they were in custody of the Clones, and was himself taken into custody.
During the Imperial Era, the pirate and insurgent leader Nightswan instigated an uprising on Umbara in order to facilitate the Imperial takeover of Umbara's mining and refining sector. Nightswan thought it would be easier to bribe the Imperial inspectors rather than their Umbaran counterparts. Despite resistance from former Separatist Vulture droids, Captain Thrawn helped secure an Imperial victory by convincing Admiral Carlou Gendling's task force to bombard a ground-based transmitter on Umbara's outermost moon.
- Jedi of the Republic—Mace Windu, Part II (Mentioned only)
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Darkness on Umbara" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The General"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Plan of Dissent"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Carnage of Krell"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Gathering" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "An Old Friend" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- (First identified as Shadow World)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- ; image #17 (of 21)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Darkness on Umbara"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Thrawn
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The General"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3
- ↑ Leia, Princess of Alderaan
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Murders"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Carnage of Krell"